Discuss Wow the cost will be crazy in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

MG201

-
Reaction score
If they think these will take off i recon they are wrong. Retro fitting them will always have problems as the wiring cannot be guarenteed. Fair enough in industrial but not domestic. At 211 for 1 unit. I seen a picture today of a cu with main switch and 8 of these and a spare 2 way space. Didn't have cost but the board size is crazy would need to fit a extention to property to accomadate a new CU. Recon 5 years untill they try impose these.

Screenshot_20180819-140458.png

If they think these will take off i recon they are wrong. Retro fitting them will always have problems as the wiring cannot be guarenteed. Fair enough in industrial but not domestic. At 211 for 1 unit. I seen a picture today of a cu with main switch and 8 of these and a spare 2 way space. Didn't have cost but the board size is crazy would need to fit a extention to property to accomadate a new CU. Recon 5 years untill they try impose these.

View attachment 43823
Only if it's deemed a requirement to install AFDDs

Has anyone fitted these yet?

Manufacturers are not ready yet.

I have prices a big job in which these would be required so I spoke to Hager and Eaton technical to clarify a few things.

1. Hager do not have any available to purchase yet.

2. Eaton have to import from Germany and are a 16 day lead time and £160.

3. These do not fit into existing DBs. So they will need a seperate enclosure.

As such I removed the need for them as clearly the market cannot currently support BS7671.

What an absolute farce.

Last edited by a moderator:
Manufacturers are not ready yet.

I have prices a big job in which these would be required so I spoke to Hager and Eaton technical to clarify a few things.

1. Hager do not have any available to purchase yet.

2. Eaton have to inport from Germany and are a 16 day lead time and £160.

3. These do not fit into existing DBs. So they will need a seperate enclosure.

As such I removed the need for them as clearly the market cannot currently support BS7671.

What an absolute farce.
3 What for each circuit??

3 What for each circuit??

You could fit multiple into a contactor like enclosure. My idea was to have those bolt on DB extension boxes and install them in there. I would install RCBOs in the DB for the circuits that required them as an MCB/RCD/AFDD is three modules.

You could fit multiple into a contactor like enclosure. My idea was to have those bolt on DB extension boxes and install them in there. I would install RCBOs in the DB for the circuits that required them as an MCB/RCD/AFDD is three modules.
They will I sure manufacture a single unit that will fit into the space of a single MCB or RCBO, after all the Americans and Europeans have been using them for a while haven't they?
Protection against arc faults AFDDs - Modular DIN-Rail products | ABB - https://new.abb.com/low-voltage/products/system-pro-m/protection-against-arc-faults

They will I sure manufacture a single unit that will fit into the space of a single MCB or RCBO, after all the Americans and Europeans have been using them for a while haven't they?
Protection against arc faults AFDDs - Modular DIN-Rail products | ABB - https://new.abb.com/low-voltage/products/system-pro-m/protection-against-arc-faults

Maybe in 10+ years. The issue is they need a L/N feed and a L/N outgoing so installing them on to a busbar CU/DB is an issue.

Also there is currentlu no 3 phase ones on the market.

Was this supposed to be an example as it is two MCB ways and I'm not sure if it contains the MCB and RCD elements, maybe it is too much to get the three elements into one MCB module width?

Maybe in 10+ years. The issue is they need a L/N feed and a L/N outgoing so installing them on to a busbar CU/DB is an issue.

Also there is currentlu no 3 phase ones on the market.

It should easy enough if using Schneider’s Acti 9 range as a neutral bus kit is available which converts any live way in a standard DB to a Neutral.

As of a couple of weeks ago...

Despite all the hype and claims of ability to retrofit, whilst Eaton/MEM can provide the AFDD+ device, they recently advised they cannot provide a board in their UK range to fit them into. The best they could come up with was a botch, of having MCBs in the main DB, feeding AFDDs in a separate din rail enclosure.

As already stated, Hager have no product availability yet, although I guess they are close, as they have published SKU codes. These are 2 module width MCB+AFDD devices, no RCBO options, unlike the 3 module width Eaton offering.

Siemens, we gave up with, they were as helpful as a chocolate teapot.

Reply to Wow the cost will be crazy in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net