Discuss YELL Premium advertising in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi

I've moved to a new area and I'm going to advertise with YELL for local business. I had quite diverse business where I was before and I didn't need to advertise.

YELL are giving me prices of 200 - 500 for the VIP listings (top 4) for my local areas. That means the catchment areas of major towns with borders set by the YELL people themselves. Nothing to do with postcodes, parishes, constituencies etc.

Has anyone gone down this route with YELL before and if so how effective was it?

They offer web building and SEO services as well which I will discuss with a rep on Thursday. Anyone had any luck with this?

Thanks.

:gettree:

Do lots of people still use YELL rather than just searching for an electrician in Google?

I do. They appear one under check a trade when I search electrician my area. They have SEO services as well. I'm thinking of bunging them a grand. Would that money be better spent elsewhere?

cheers.

Last edited:
better spent on your own website. get it built and go from there.

Do you have a web site?
The reason why I said what I did in my previous post is that the cleaning woman has come to me today with her kids iphone 6, with a bust screen. She has been quoted £300 and odd at the O2 shop where she bought it. I did a search on Google for Iphone 6 screen repair Preston. Didn't even think of using YELL. Got what I wanted.

I'd also go with what Tell says.

Last edited:
I have a website. Built it myself as a front page for my services using iWeb. No SEO though. Should i get SEO only? I have a friend who can do this. I've had a few random calls from my free advert on yell in the past.

Does anyone else get calls via YELL?

Do you have a web site?
The reason why I said what I did in my previous post is that the cleaning woman has come to me today with her kids iphone 6, with a bust screen. She has been quoted £300 and odd at the O2 shop where she bought it. I did a search on Google for Iphone 6 screen repair Preston. Didn't even think of using YELL. Got what I wanted.

I'd also go with what Tell says.

ha. Did she think you could repair it being an electrician and all?

ha. Did she think you could repair it being an electrician and all?

haha.. how did you know. "You can get them for £3 from ebay you know" Is what I got told. She thought you could just buy one take the screen off and plonk the new one on. 5 minutes of a job.....

I use the free listing on yell and get quite a bit through it. Any customers I have asked tend to alter the search to suit distance rather than the best match, this suits me as the areas I work I come out around third or fourth in the list, on the best match search I am further down because of the prioritised paid listings. As stated in other posts, Google seems to be the way forward, I'm not convinced that the money charged by yell worth it.

yell and yellow pages want to charge me for my catchement area. i sit on the junction of 4 directory areas, so i'd need to advertise in all 4. my own telephone area location is manchester south witch is as much use a a fart in a thunderstorm.

I use the free listing on yell and get quite a bit through it. Any customers I have asked tend to alter the search to suit distance rather than the best match, this suits me as the areas I work I come out around third or fourth in the list, on the best match search I am further down because of the prioritised paid listings. As stated in other posts, Google seems to be the way forward, I'm not convinced that the money charged by yell worth it.

Good point about the distance searches. Paid advertising is only for relevance whatever that means?

Last edited:
I'm listed with freeindex.... For nowt. They bump you up the listings according to the quality of your advert and the number of reviews you have. With yell its how much you pay.

Freeindex often appear above yell on a Google search for electricians in a given area.

In 4 years I've never had a call from my free listing with yell. I get plenty of enquiries from freeindex including a 3 bed rewire last month.

If I ever do need to start paying for advertising it won't be going in yell's direction.

Just to add to my last post, I wasn't entirely honest about never having any calls from my yell listing. A large percentage of nuisance marketing calls start with "We found your advert on yell........"

Add to that all the calls from yell themselves trying to weedle money out of me and it's actually quite a few calls.

Never one for a business enquiry though.

if you are not confident in making a website there cheap to run. i would personally get a professional to design it.

afterall it is only a one off fee unlike yell etc which is yearly.

for example the last domain name i got was £5-10 a year

I'm with Yell, had a few calls nothing special, just had my website built with Scoot, Google Adwords as well, cost £550 which included £100 Google Adwords campaign for a month, can keep it going after but not tied to it, website has been made by web.com who are partners of Scoot and also are a partner in some way with Google, they know what they're doing and I'm really happy with it, get 30 days to make as many tweaks as I want then 60 minutes a month, that's with their team, I can make as many changes a I want myself! They also deal with all the SEO, already starting to get good leads, and I can go online and check out how many leads and hits to the website etc, loads of info to help you get the site seen more! Can see what people are searching for to find your site which allows you to change your wording to suit! I'm confident it's the best way I could spend my money on advertising and website at the moment!

good advice already given, as others have said, there are plenty of free options firstly: freeindex; google local business listing; yell free listing; Google Adwords do free £75 vouchers to use.

invest in in your own website and promote that, then you have your own shop front sort of speak, you can upload your work, horrors you find, new services, testimonials the list is endless.

a grand on yell is a waste.

good advice already given, as others have said, there are plenty of free options firstly: freeindex; google local business listing; yell free listing; Google Adwords do free £75 vouchers to use.

invest in in your own website and promote that, then you have your own shop front sort of speak, you can upload your work, horrors you find, new services, testimonials the list is endless.

a grand on yell is a waste.
i agree, your better off dropping money on someone professionally making your site than on something like yell

Reply to YELL Premium advertising in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net