Discuss Yet another 2395 question "written" in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Mike Blair

What are your opinions of my answer excuse my hand writing as it is awful...
11805831_10207626978062861_2001060725_n.jpg

noo thank you very much for posting! btw do you think i worded the question correctly? or would i loose marks they way i worded it?

im not the one to ask that of.. \/ Not below \/ English is like a 3rd Lang to me.
Ive got the read/writing age of a 9 year old ... but as they told me when i nearly bust in to tears on reading that
"dont worry most of the country has as well"

If you look at the question there are two marks available so they will be looking for two pieces of information, these are specified in the question: the code and the reason for the code.
To put more information loses you time and to put two options may mean that only the first answer is considered as the answer.

An exposed live part is a C1 code because the light is over a bench and so there are accessible live parts that present an immediate danger.
so the answer would be C1, live parts accessible to touch, immediate risk of electric shock.

A steel conduit is an exposed conductive part and requires earthing, if the conduit is corroded then there is a risk that the continuity of that earthing is not assured across joints and such like; whether it is used as the cpc or not would not be so relevant as the earthing is required in either case. The conduit may be assumed to be inappropriately selected for the external influences.
The question does not specify if the continuity of the earthing of the conduit is compromised which limits your decision to unknown factors.
Based on the lack of continuity information (which if the continuity were not present would be a C2) I would tend to deciding that this could be a risk of lack of continuity and would code this as a C3 improvement recommended because the continuity could be compromised.
So the answer would be C3, if it continues this corrosion could cause lack of continuity of the required earthing, but this has not yet been confirmed.

I think they may have wanted C2, corrosion at joints causes a high resistance in the earth fault path.
However they have not provided enough information to say this.

This is just my thoughts on how to approach C&G type questions.

Richards point about the number of marks for the question is spot on IMO. Also look out for key words in the questions.

Two key points that you should consider when reading the question are the number of marks available for the question or part question as this provides a valuable indication of the depth of the answer required. Secondly read the question carefully and answer what the question actually asks. Often a question is answered incorrectly because of a failure to understand what is being asked and what is required. It's an easy trap to fall into under exam conditions when you are under pressure. The danger here is that you may answer a question to which you know the answer, but which is not the question you have been asked in the paper. Remember, the questions are set to establish your level of understanding an specific areas, so the correct response is important if the marks are to be obtained. Take a little longer to read the question carefully to ensure you are quite clear about what is required.

The wording of a question, coupled with the number of marks available, gives valuable clues as to what is expected. The words used in the question provide the first clue. If you look out for the following words and phrases and understand what they mean, you should be able to provide an appropriate answer.

state: this means the answer is expected to be a short statement, not a long rambling paragraph. The response to this type of question may even be a single word or group of words which may not need to be a complete sentence.

list:this means you should produce a simple list of items or actions. The answer should be similar to that produced by the "state" question. However, on this occasion the items would be expected to follow a sequence and form a list.

explain briefly: this requires a brief explanation; usually no more than one or two sentences. It does not require paragraphs of explanation and the word "briefly" is used to indicate this requirement.

explain with the aid of a diagram: this means exactly what it says. The answer should comprise both a diagram and an explanation. The examiner is trying to help you achieve maximum marks by asking for both an explanation and a diagram because this method of providing information is likely to be the most efficient.

Show all calculations: again the examiner is trying to help you score as many marks as possible. Where a calculation is required and the only thing offered by you is the numerical answer, then if it is wrong, you would score no marks. If you include each step of the calculation then marks will be awarded for the correct step. It's in your best interest to show all stages of the process. Where relevant remember to show the applicable units which apply to your answer e.g. V, ohms, KA etc.

with the aid of a fully labeled diagram:this indicates that a diagram needs to be provided with the component parts clearly labelled. The marks for these questions are divided between the diagram and the labelling.

To obtain the maximum marks for the question both the labelling and diagram must be completed.

describe: these questions often relate to test procedures and you are required to demonstrate your knowledge of the test process. Look at the number of marks available to give you an indication of how much detail you need to go into.

describe, in detail: this indicates that a more detailed answer is required and again the number if marks available for the question gives an indication of the depth of the answer required.

A series of short bullet pointed statements is a very effective method of providing the answer, but remember that all necessary information must be included.

Direct measurement: this indicates that a test is required and the results are not established by using a calculation. For example, where you are asked to describe the direct measurement of earth fault loop impedance, then a description of the test procedure is required. Describing an R1+R2 test and then stating how to determine the value by calculation using Zs=Ze+(R1+R2) will result in no marks being awarded for the answer.

Last edited:

Reply to Yet another 2395 question "written" in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net