Discuss your opinions wanted with regards kitchen rewire in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

edward cooper

Got called today to quote on a second fix of kitchen extention. On arrival all wiring was in place for lights extractor cooker. I have the start of the kitchen lights radial and the two legs of the ring to wire in as well.

I noticed that the cooker socket was not a dedicated radial but part of the ring. I asked client how the origonal electrician was going to link the ring in and was told he was going to extend the existing house ring to incorporate the kitchen so I asked to see the fuse board.

On looking it appears to be about 30 years old with the entire house sockets been supplied from one single 32A MCB which had replaced an old rewireable fuse in the board. (if you see what i mean)

So I said I dont believe the existing installation is capable of taking the extra load considering the age of it and especially because of the cooker being added to the ring. He then got a little defensive and started to say that he was only going to have a 3kw oven so was ok but i still said I was not happy.

What are your thoughts on this?

I want to split his tails feed another consumer unit, Put the new ring and lights on it as the existing installation is not rcd protected and there no space in the board and run in a new cable for cooker probably 6mm.

I know I should not mess with other peoples work etc so please constructive not destructive answers please

Thanks

The most important question is why the sparky who did the first fix isn't doing the 2nd fix. Obviously the board needs updating and I would guess that the bonding too.

Your main issue, as you haven't done the first fix is how can you sign off the EIC and do the LABC bits??

Only a 3 kw oven? Oh well thats fine Mr Joe Public, you obviously know far more about my chosen profession than me who has served an apprenticeship and has years of experience.

I think I would explain why he needs what he needs and be prepared to walk away mate

I'm wondering if the howeowner has done the first fix himself!!

I got asked to do something similar recently. Agreed a price then ripped out the work the homower had done and started again - his master plan was junction boxes under the bath to extend the ring!

maybe he got first dude to do work and then fell out with him thwn he get you too do bit then fall out with you then the next victim.... untill finished, tread careful make sure it suits you or am i talking pants

hope he fixed the bath panel so it could only be opened with a tool ( or is that by a tool )

What do you think about the cooker in the ring. The regs say that its recommended anything over 3kw should be on its own circuit and Im just not happy about plugging a cooker in no matter what its rating because it will lead to the circuit been abused in the end when he realises his oven is s**t.

As long as you can see all the wiring thats been done they you will be fine.I would pull 2 new legs for kitchen ring and a 6mm.New board aswell

dedicated 6mm radial. then he can fit any cooker he wants ( within reason )

every single job i've had where some one has first fixed i've had a problem. yes as said why isnt the first electrician finishing if the owner has done it himself i'd have a bet that you'll have a problem getting money out of him

Always amazes me, these dip-sticks spend thousands on the cabinets, wall tiles, floor tiles, and other goodies in there new kitchens, but then want to penny pinch on the wiring that will in all probability out last the dammed kitchen 3 times over!!

Also, Never seem too concerned at all with the families safety, by leaving the supply source in place, that's been in service 30 odd years or more.

To be honest, tell this guy what is needed to bring his new installation upto date and fit for purpose. If he doesn't like it walk away, ....and that's not being destructive, that's being professional and sensible !!

By the way, the oven may be rated on the box as 3KW, but in reality there will always be at least 1 element in there that cannot be utilised in conjunction with the other elements. So i reckon you can knock at least a KW off that connected load figure on the box!! ...lol!!!

What do you think about the cooker in the ring. The regs say that its recommended anything over 3kw should be on its own circuit and Im just not happy about plugging a cooker in no matter what its rating because it will lead to the circuit been abused in the end when he realises his oven is s**t.
2 KW mate...Appendix 15 p(362)...Ring and Radial finals...

Really should be a seperate ring or radial final for the kitchen though mate....and FCUs for appliance isolation n all.......as above if that cooker is rated above 2KW then a seperate radial here n all...........

Reply to your opinions wanted with regards kitchen rewire in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net