Discuss 0.06 meg Ohm could it be a load in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I think you need to elaborate as how you have achieved this reading and the purpose of the test
Purpose is curiosity of my own electrical installation, and why i would have almost a dead short on N-E but with no RCD tripping unless it was a load

My flat has a circuit in it that tests as follows when live cpc and neutral are disconnected from the CU @ 250 volts

ZS 0.45

L-E >200 megohm
L-N >200 megohm
E-N 0.006 megohm

If it’s just the circuit you’re testing, N-E should be clear. Any load, even a neon light, would be between L-N

What is on this circuit?
Is everything unplugged if it’s sockets?
Is the polarity correct at each point on the circuit?
What are the readings at other points on the circuit?

If it's a radial circuit e.g. cooker/shower/maybe immersion then have you tried turning the isolator off near the load?
I'm having a stab in the dark that this is a heating element.

I have seen this with an old RCD socket - it had something like 50k to E as a means to trip out in the event that neutral is open or swapped.

But it could be some faulty cable of course, which is more worrying. You need to see if any loads were still connected during the test as there was only SP isolation on them.

60KΩ isn't going to be a design load for an appliance, do the maths and that's an Ib of 3.8mA which is daft. It could though be a Neon?

60KΩ isn't going to be a design load for an appliance, do the maths and that's an Ib of 3.8mA which is daft. It could though be a Neon?
agreed, I was wondering if it was a element deteriorating N to E as 3.8ma leakage seemed plausible.
I should be patient and wait and see what the circuit is!

Whenever I come across a reading like this, almost but not quite a dead short on the megger it usually turns out to be a surge protection extension lead plugged in somehwere.

Reply to 0.06 meg Ohm could it be a load in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net