Search the forum,

Discuss 10 Things You Might Not Know About Me in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Marvo

-
Staff member
Mod
Mentor
Esteemed
Supporter
Reaction score
Thought it might be nice to help other members get a better mental picture of the other reprobates they're sharing the forum with. Obviously in the interests of privacy and security keep any info you post non-specific in nature....

I'll start;

1. I was born on Gibraltar, lived in West Germany and the UK (plus various other places) and I'm now settled in Cape Town. I haven't lived in the UK for about 25 years but still have a house there.
2. I deep sea fish for tuna whenever possible.
3. I have 2 kids, both boys aged 20 and 16 and a wife.
4. I ride motorcycles as often as possible on and off-road.
5. I don't own an Apple product.
6. I do own an American pitbull terrier and several firearms.
7. I started as an apprentice and qualified to HND, eventually completed a bachelors degree at UMIST. I'm also a qualified paramedic (CCA).
8. I've never been a sparky.
9. I only drink very occasionally, don't do drugs but I do smoke.
10. I've never been convicted of a criminal offence (other than traffic fines) but I got arrested when I was 15 for shoplifting in Boots the chemist and again when I was at Uni for protesting the introduction of the Poll Tax.

"4. I ride motorcycles as often as possible on and off-road."

Me too, mainly off road. I compete in Moto X & Trials, mainly trials because I'm a bit too old for the moto x these days. What bikes do you ride?

Born in Bath Somerset
Apprenticed to a small firm in Bath C.P,Vanstones Grove Street, jus off Pulteny bridge.
Don't do Drugs, other than what the Doctor tells me to take daily.
Don't own a gun or a motor bike.
Worked at RAF Colerne after my Apprenticeship finished, moved to MOD(N) cus the bus to Colerne got to expensive.
Worked in Cyprus for a year without my Family as a Foreman of Trades for DofE.
Back to Bath
Moscow USSR for 4 years with FCOServices as Technical Supervisor.
Back to Bath for about 6 months
MOD (Army) Warminster as a Technical Officer
Thatcher stut down DofE PSE mid 1980s
Transfered to FCOServices Milton Keynes
Moved to Northampton
Travelled doing short working Trips all over the world
Did a stint as a TU Rep
Gave up smoking 12 years ago
Don't drink much, I spill most of it
27 Years later retired 2010
Still Married 1 Son (camerbloke)
Started Carp fishing but illness stopped me (brain tumor and Prostate Cancer.
Join this Forum (why I don't know?)
Oh and won a set of CK Stubby screw drivers last week

Born in Bath Somerset
Apprenticed to a small firm in Bath C.P,Vanstones Grove Street, jus off Pulteny bridge.
Don't do Drugs, other than what the Doctor tells me to take daily.
Don't own a gun or a motor bike.
Worked at RAF Colerne after my Apprenticeship finished, moved to MOD(N) cus the bus to Colerne got to expensive.
Worked in Cyprus for a year without my Family as a Foreman of Trades for DofE.
Back to Bath
Moscow USSR for 4 years with FCOServices as Technical Supervisor.
Back to Bath for about 6 months
MOD (Army) Warminster as a Technical Officer
Thatcher stut down DofE PSE mid 1980s
Transfered to FCOServices Milton Keynes
Moved to Northampton
Travelled doing short working Trips all over the world
Did a stint as a TU Rep
Gave up smoking 12 years ago
27 Years later retired 2010
Still Married 1 Son (camerbloke)
Started Carp fishing but illness stopped me (brain tumor and Prostate Cancer.
Join this Forum (why I don't know?)
Oh and won a set of CK Stubby screw drivers last week
Dont forget to add your probably the most respected member here either

ok why not, I'll go next with a few things:

1. My names Michael & I was born in Middlesbrough. I moved houses a lot around the UK & I am now settled in Seaton, Devon.
2. I'm a qualified skydiver who also enjoys Kayaking, Yoshinkan Aikido & have recently taken up indoor rock climbing in Exeter With my daughter.
3. I am a single parent & my daughter Debbie is 7 years old but going on 18 lol
4. We have a Springer Spaniel who is 1 year old & shes completely bonkers lol
5. I drink very very occasionally & don't do drugs or smoke.
6. I've travelled a little bit to Russia, Spain & India but would like to do more.

"4. I ride motorcycles as often as possible on and off-road."

Me too, mainly off road. I compete in Moto X & Trials, mainly trials because I'm a bit too old for the moto x these days. What bikes do you ride?
For off-road I a Honda Transalp and a BMW HP2. No MotoX (too old :( ), I do mostly desert riding locally in the Karoo or mountain trails in the Cederberg mountains.

me:
born in the city of culture and cars on bricks
relocated , age 11, in staffordshire after mother's death
0 and A levels followed by HND (sandwich course apprenticeship with Hawker Kidney)
6 months in an office, realised was not for me
went to AEI small motors R&D
boring
then self-employed appliance repairs followed by 1970's boom repairing the crap TVs sold then
retrained in alarm installation & servicing,doing small electrical jobs as sideline
electrical jobs took off, went on to bigger jobs, learning the practical side through experience and mistakes.
1995 did 16th
carried on self-employed through to 2001
stupidly bought a general shop/off licence in n. wales lost most due to uncontrollable circumstances
met current mrs and moved to cheshire and back into sparking 2006
17th in 2011 age 65.
still at it.

I'm already learning lots in this thread. Didn't know you were a qualified sandwich chef... :)
haha. what was called the sandwich course was 6 months factory, 6 months college. lasted 3 years.a bit like 4 rounds of bread with filling layers bacon, egg,mushroom, and multiple pints of ale.

me:
0 and A levels followed by HND (sandwich course apprenticeship with Hawker Kidney)
boring
then self-employed appliance repairs followed by 1970's boom repairing the crap TVs sold then
retrained in alarm installation & servicing,doing small electrical jobs as sideline
electrical jobs took off, went on to bigger jobs, learning the practical side through experience and mistakes.
1995 did 16th
stupidly bought a general shop/off licence in n. wales lost most due to uncontrollable circumstances
17th in 2011 age 65.
still at it.
Crikey Tel buying an Offy

me:
boring
1995 did 16th
17th in 2011 age 65.
still at it.
I'm already learning lots in this thread. Didn't know you were a qualified sandwich chef... :)
Just seen an Advert out side "Subway" Sandwitch artiste needed, what next?

me:
boring
1995 did 16th
17th in 2011 age 65.
still at it.
Just seen an Advert out side "Subway" Sandwitch artiste needed, what next?
It doesn't suprise me pete, I expect he owned a brewery at one time as well
Could be why Tel is always pleading poverty, drunk all the stock.:p:D:rolleyes:

strated off OK, but

1.the north wales police decided to stop 1 car in 3 of my passing trade - breath test, car searches.all traffic then used a different route.
2. the 500 pitch caravan site which was my main summer customer base lost 75% of caravan owners due to the site owner being a complete arse.
3. derelict ex caravan site within 50 yards was condemned for building by local council. 2 years after i sold out, 400 new houses built.

and NO. I DID NOT DRINK ALL THE PROFITS ( only half of them. :p.)

strated off OK, but

1.the north wales police decided to stop 1 car in 3 of my passing trade - breath test, car searches.all traffic then used a different route.
2. the 500 pitch caravan site which was my main summer customer base lost 75% of caravan owners due to the site owner being a complete arse.
3. derelict ex caravan site within 50 yards was condemned for building by local council. 2 years after i sold out, 400 new houses built.

and NO. I DID NOT DRINK ALL THE PROFITS ( only half of them. :p.)
Only joking Tel

Why for you Laff Mike?
Bath is too posh for somerset pete, your in wiltshire with Bath, mind you the borders change so often it may even be in Gloucestershire next time an election is called.

Bath is too posh for somerset pete, your in wiltshire with Bath, mind you the borders change so often it may even be in Gloucestershire next time an election is called.
Wash your mouth out you Heathen, Bath was Somerset, then Avon now back to Somerset, Wiltshire my backside.

My name is Stefan was born to Polish immigrant parents who came here during the war and both served, Mum in RAF/PAF 305 and Father as a Merchant seaman as a motorman/stoker.

Two sons 32 and 29 am divorced but live with my girlfriend and not getting married again.

Did my "time" at EIL in Victoria and got into data cabling then computers just before the building trade collapsed in the late 80's.

Born and bred in London, like old cars and travelling fast, worked in lots of interesting places and have met many a "star" through my work at EMI and Virgin records and Jools Holland.

Gave up smoking years ago just need to stop drinking and lose a few kg's to get my fitness level up as DVT knocked me sideways (if you struggle and get out of breath get yourself checked out as it can kill you).

Did some property developing but now need to find a job that I enjoy doing as being a professional layabout does not pay the bills.

I own Apple products own my own home and like shiny tools oh and own a Festool chop saw ;o))))

hilareous.
Just learnt something Tel, I didn't know what PMSL meant, it's cus I'm aged Mate, and don't do Faceache and all that other
Social Media Carp P-ssed myself laughing, like it. I think some people may think I meant that you didn't know what PMSL meant, so just edited my post.

Last edited:
So here's a few bits about me :)

1. At 16 wanted to be either a machine tool service engineer like my Uncle, a spark or a software engineer (this is when merely owning a computer made you a complete nerd)
2. I used to play the Violin, now just dabble with synths (not as much as I would like) and would like to learn to play the guitar, drums and piano
3. Used to engage in amateur dramatics, preferred role was stage manager so I could attempt to cremate people and scenery with pyrotechnics
4. I like playing geek games like TIS-100, Shenzhen I/O and Silicon Zeroes, but I also like playing Diablo III, World of Warcraft and Grand Theft Auto 5
5. I did have a legitimate frag count of over 55,000 on Quake III Arena
6. I once competed for a place in an early e-sports team playing Painkiller, got my --- whooped by a guy who went on to win because I got bad lag on my 56k modem (he was on an early broadband connection) and I'd only been playing the game for a matter of days :)
7. My greatest software engineering achievements include reverse engineering a network security appliance to make it do things even the suppliers tech support department said were impossible, being one of the first people to successfully interface to a particular system in a language other than Perl and the crowning achievement, single handedly putting together the software for a browser based space strategy game (the intention was to make money, but in the end it didn't. My housemate designed it, I coded it and my brother produced the artwork for it)
8. My preferred tipple is real ale
9. Back on the musical theme, I did once have a song I wrote the music for recorded properly in a studio
10. I know how to weld (arc and MIG)

Bonus fact... I've designed and programmed quite a few custom digital controllers based around the PIC microcontrollers :)

So here's a few bits about me :)

1. At 16 wanted to be either a machine tool service engineer like my Uncle, a spark or a software engineer (this is when merely owning a computer made you a complete nerd)
2. I used to play the Violin, now just dabble with synths (not as much as I would like) and would like to learn to play the guitar, drums and piano
3. Used to engage in amateur dramatics, preferred role was stage manager so I could attempt to cremate people and scenery with pyrotechnics
4. I like playing geek games like TIS-100, Shenzhen I/O and Silicon Zeroes, but I also like playing Diablo III, World of Warcraft and Grand Theft Auto 5
5. I did have a legitimate frag count of over 55,000 on Quake III Arena
6. I once competed for a place in an early e-sports team playing Painkiller, got my --- whooped by a guy who went on to win because I got bad lag on my 56k modem (he was on an early broadband connection) and I'd only been playing the game for a matter of days :)
7. My greatest software engineering achievements include reverse engineering a network security appliance to make it do things even the suppliers tech support department said were impossible, being one of the first people to successfully interface to a particular system in a language other than Perl and the crowning achievement, single handedly putting together the software for a browser based space strategy game (the intention was to make money, but in the end it didn't. My housemate designed it, I coded it and my brother produced the artwork for it)
8. My preferred tipple is real ale
9. Back on the musical theme, I did once have a song I wrote the music for recorded properly in a studio
10. I know how to weld (arc and MIG)

Bonus fact... I've designed and programmed quite a few custom digital controllers based around the PIC microcontrollers :)
Synth's a nerd eh this is you isn't it,

I have a Korg Microkorg sold my Korg MS2000 last year.

Nessa who can sing.........

1) - Yorkshire born and bred
2) - other than this career path I was an Usher at showcase cinema's to pull some extra cash in in my apprentice days, I didn't take the job seriously and all the perks etc like free film passes made it enjoyable.
3) - I am learning guitar, self taught using youtube, its slow moving but I am getting there.
4) - In my teens I was swimming about 3miles a week at the local pool, once I hit 18 I swapped this out for dancing, I was regularly taking people to the big nightclubs to teach them how to dance and be more confident to do so.
5) I have an eclectic taste in music and can listen to anything from classical, opera all the way to heavy metal and indie.
6) I went through a punk/rock/goth phase and this is reflected in a pic I posted in 'what member look like thread...my ex is also a goth
7) I have nearly died twice through misadventure as a kid, I nearly suffocated in an old coal storage yard as I was sinking in a soup of coal dust/water acting like quick sand, my mates were also falling foul of the same, our screams were fortunately heard as I was up to my chin by then. The other occasion was my mate went under the ice in the local damn, I went under trying to save him, if it wasn't for a 3rd friend grabbing me as I had hold of the other lad then we were both certainly doomed, my body went into shock with the cold and I couldn't move as I went under.
8) Lost one of my best mates in a car crash when I was in my early twenties, it made me look at life totally different and probably shaped my character there after to who I am now, I was not involved in the crash myself.
9) I have only been in trouble with the law once as a young teen, I was bound over £50 for 1yr initially under the explosives act but it was reduced to breach of the peace because of my age (I was building my own fireworks by dismantling existing one and rearranging them, unfortunately the power and noise from my new fireworks was too much for the neighbours as they didn't take to it too kindly), I also nearly lost my hand when an airbomb pellet when off with static charge so a big lesson was learnt - I moved onto computer games after that.
10) I suffered a gambling addiction most of my younger days to bandits I no longer am and I cured my own problem but it has cost me a few relationships over those years although not because of the money as many would expect, I didn't do too bad out of it, it was just I pushed away the people around me to feed my addiction.

Brought up as catholic, and navy discipline Father was in the Royal Navy.

Spent some of my youth going off the rails, say no more. Made good though!

Started playing guitar, and have since built my own spanish guitar, would love to do this full time making instruments. Proper face matched norwegian spruce german rosette 1mm thick routed into front soundhole etc. It is really nice. Have a few guitars especially an old Roca (spanish luthier) circa 1860 and fabulous sound. Repaired it from pretty smashed up state. Love that one.

Chosen to do electrics by class mate John Donovan, in Shorinji Kempo class. He said you look like you're lazing (actually a bit more coarse than that) about get and do some work for me. Never looked back and it's where my electrical career began in east London latterly Scotland and Bristol to this day.

Trained acupuncturist. Reiki Master. Astrologer taught on free scholarship when this school read my chart! I can read palms etc.

Studied Law degree. LL. B. Hons. The diet of ashes as it is known.

Started up trust R. W. Bailey Memorial trust turnover .75 M at its height helping people from a mental health background, still going but bumping along the bottom as it were. Still have a farm in south bristol teaching horticulture through cannington college. Been going since 1989.

Studied and taught master classes in martial arts since 17 (45 yrs.) Shorinji Kempo, based on Uechi Ryu, Tai Ji, Aikido and so on also Iaido, fast draw sword.

Have seven children, 19 grandchildren (soon to be 21, twins on the way) 4 great-grandchildren, Four grandkids live with us. Done my bit for England. Married thirty-five years no slip ups!

I have read the bible cover to cover, must say I did not understand some of it but got some startling revelations reading it. A fantastic historical document with many incredible stories was my impression of it among other things. I recommend the book of Job for anyone interested.

Looking at the the fact that I have less time in front of me than behind me is quite sobering. Taking stock and wondering where it will all end.

Started playing guitar, and have since built my own spanish guitar, would love to do this full time making instruments. Proper face matched norwegian spruce german rosette 1mm thick routed into front soundhole etc. It is really nice. Have a few guitars especially an old Roca (spanish luthier) circa 1860 and fabulous sound. Repaired it from pretty smashed up state. Love that one.

Chosen to do electrics by class mate John Donovan, in Shorinji Kempo class. He said you look like you're lazing (actually a bit more coarse than that) about get and do some work for me. Never looked back and it's where my electrical career began in east London latterly Scotland and Bristol to this day.

Trained acupuncturist. Reiki Master. Astrologer taught on free scholarship when this school read my chart! I can read palms etc.

Started up trust R. W. Bailey Memorial trust turnover .75 M at its height helping people from a mental health background, still going but bumping along the bottom as it were. Still have a farm in south bristol teaching horticulture through cannington college. Been going since 1989.

Studied and taught master classes in martial arts since 17 (45 yrs.) Shorinji Kempo, based on Uechi Ryu, Tai Ji, Aikido and so on also Iaido, fast draw sword.

Have seven children, 19 grandchildren (soon to be 21, twins on the way) 4 great-grandchildren, Four grandkids live with us. Done my bit for England. Married thirty-five years no slip ups!

I have read the bible cover to cover, must say I did not understand some of it but got some startling revelations reading it. A fantastic historical document with many incredible stories was my impression of it among other things. I recommend the book of Job for anyone interested.

Looking at the the fact that I have less time in front of me than behind me is quite sobering. Taking stock and wondering where it will all end.
Thats an interesting read.

The way things are in our house I do not actually need to work I just do it because I love working and doing electrics and some of the challenges it throws up. I must say nowadays people are saying things like "take it steady old timer" and "are you ok with that old man" ok they don't say the old bit but that is what they mean. I feel fine though so far anyroad.

Synth's a nerd eh this is you isn't it,

I have a Korg Microkorg sold my Korg MS2000 last year.

Nessa who can sing.........

I'd like to be able to sing like Alison Moyet and write songs like Vince Clarke :)

I've not got that much kit, mainly Roland (Alpha Juno 2, D110, XV-5080) and a Yamaha MU-1000, plus a collection of software emulations (mainly the Arturia V-Collection)

1) left school joined the forces as weapons tech.
2) medically discharged due to having a seizure. not had one since in last 12 1/2 years.
3) After leaving forces worked for a firm doing commercial and domestic refurb projects, mainly cafes, pubs, hotels etc.. did my 2365 courses whilst working
4) Did a bit of work for a private investigation company, installing covert cctv in buildings (with owners permission!)
5)Enjoy lock picking as a hobby! I enjoy the challenge of it..
6) Bit of a cocktail connoisseur - anything with passion fruit or mango then i am happy
7) Bath rugby fan.
8) Currently looking into getting private pilots licence (NPPL) to fly small planes, had some lessons before but never finished it properly. I may go down the microlight route instead as they are literally a plane in all but name these days.
9) Lives in the great City of Bath, @Pete999 will know it well!
10) Now working for myself as It means I can balance my work and home life better without living in hotels.

Don't own a Bible, but have a deep facination of all things Religious, from the Classic teachings to the "God was an Astronaut theory".

1) left school joined the forces as weapons tech.
2) medically discharged due to having a seizure. not had one since in last 12 1/2 years.
3) After leaving forces worked for a firm doing commercial and domestic refurb projects, mainly cafes, pubs, hotels etc.. did my 2365 courses whilst working
4) Did a bit of work for a private investigation company, installing covert cctv in buildings (with owners permission!)
5)Enjoy lock picking as a hobby! I enjoy the challenge of it..
6) Bit of a cocktail connoisseur - anything with passion fruit or mango then i am happy
7) Bath rugby fan.
8) Currently looking into getting private pilots licence (NPPL) to fly small planes, had some lessons before but never finished it properly. I may go down the microlight route instead as they are literally a plane in all but name these days.
9) Lives in the great City of Bath, @Pete999 will know it well!
10) Now working for myself as It means I can balance my work and home life better without living in hotels.
Visited my Sister in Law can't believe the changes to the city center, Bus Staion as I knew has moved, MOD Ensliegh, Fox Hill gone, now where are the tissues?

Visited my Sister in Law can't believe the changes to the city centre, Bus Station as I knew has moved, MOD Ensliegh, Fox Hill gone, now where are the tissues?
Bus station is now next to train station and they dug out / uncovered the old victorian brunel era vaults turning them into restaurants. the new shopping area where old bus station was is much better though.
Fox hill is going to be a huge new housing estate mix of social and affordable/private housing.
City centre at the old stothert and pitt works is all being developed, everything along the river both sides is a free for all and worth a lot of money and being developed. one firm have had to delay the work as they said that they couldn't get a known reliable contractor for the works. all busy on other projects! There is so much development in the city its hard to keep up with them all.

My daughter lives in Bath lucky girl. Always wanted to live in Bath could never afford it so far anyway.
I can just about manage it, prices are indeed getting silly now, i fitted some new lights in a house last week, couple paid for £320k for a 3 bed semi and its not exactly spacious and has no drive/garage either... garden is small. crazy world we live in

House prices in Bristol are pretty crazy. In 1986 we bought our house for 17K and were biting our nails about servicing a £60 per month mortgage can you believe it? Our rent was £30 pound per month. Now...well I think we all know. On the original deeds in 1899 the house was sold by the builders for £3 5s 6d!

1: Been a member of the forum since 2010. It's a bit like being unable to stop getting mugged by a granny with a zimmer-frame and a blunt spoon. I think it’s reading about the electrical adventures of the armatures that keeps me coming back. It’s like a joyride in a clown car powered by sh!t. Every day they stray further from God's light and I just can’t get over some of the stuff they get up to.
2: I like cake!
3: It was partly the curiosity and the sense of adventure, but mostly the babes and the money that turned me into an electrical ---- and the fact that plumbers have to have heroes. On my journey I’ve had the pleasure of some truly outstanding sparkies and worked in some amazing places. I could tell thee of tales that thine eyes would burn from awesomeness. Although nowadays the best part of my job is that my chair swivels and my Scrooge McDuck backstroke is truly impressive.
4: Give me a hammer and everything starts to look like a nail.
5: Sooner or later, whenever left unsupervised, I end up listening to Jay Z or LL Cool J.
Just kidding!!! No such astounding pile of dog-dos deserved to be listened to in full stereo. I’m a big fan of AC/DC and Led Zeppelin which are best played LOUD!
6: I have a tool fetish. Does anyone know if there is a cure for me?
7: The fickle finger of fate is a strange mistress. When I met Lady K, I knew I was punching well above my weight but went for it anyway. She is far too happy for the wretched darkness called my existence. I couldn’t have wished for a better person to share my life with though. We have three daughters and five grandchildren, which are a constant drain of my resources but I wouldn’t have it any other way!
8: $ʎ¡ʇ happens whenever I party naked!
9: When I’m not on duty on the Starship, I’m chillaxing in the noble kingdom of Shrewsbury. Better known as the graveyard of ambition. But if Brexit goes completely t!ts-up, I will be leaving you all to it. Anyone know what the Cayman Islands are like?
10: My favourite catchphrase is “Sooo why eyy eyyy can't I touch it?”:)

Reply to 10 Things You Might Not Know About Me in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock