Discuss 100ms time delay rcd on main domestic unit?g in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

As has been said by others the '25' is probably zs, the total resistance of the earth loop going all the way to the suppliers transformer.

On the table of test results for the circuits that have failed their should be an R1 + R2 result, what are these? This should confirm whether the high impedance is in your installation or on the suppliers side.

Too high a zs can be caused by poor or loose connections. I would always advocate finding the cause and repairing it but you can get round it by down-rating the MCB which allows a circuit to have a higher zs or converting to RCD.

Just a guess, but it looks like the fail comment in respect of the 100mA RCD is because it's protecting circuits? Kitchen RFC in particular?

reading those results I can see why he failed it. Zs of 50ohm on cct 3 is over 10 times what I would expect for a start so you have a fire waiting to happen there........

As Murdoch said, there are a couple of anomalies on the sheet but it is basically believable so you do need some work done to make it safe.

I still can't see why there is a C2 on the main RCD but, as others have said, why not ask the guy?

Just a guess, but it looks like the fail comment in respect of the 100mA RCD is because it's protecting circuits? Kitchen RFC in particular?

maybe, but I'd give that a C3 unless of course there is a socket that could be expected to be used for outside equipment. (ie. outside socket spurred off the kitchen ring)

One or two slip ups on there me thinks. How long did it take him to do?
it took him about about 2 1/2 hours for 4 bed house,
when I asked about the 100ms delay, he said thats unsafe since thats long enough for a fatal shock, there should be no delay and thats why it failed. is he right to fail it or is this a grey area?
should he be using a special meter to text the td?

Reply to 100ms time delay rcd on main domestic unit?g in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net