Discuss 100ms time delay rcd on main domestic unit?g in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

probably as it's a TT earthing system. a rough idea of when it was installed, has it got any 30mA RCDs?

there is a 30mA Rcd half way down the bus
would this setup be acceptable for eicar or unsatisfactory?
also, there are two breakers which are lableled cooker and central heating, these are unused the wires go nowhere, , its lagacy of old house, cooker and ch are on kitchen ring now
should it fail eicar for this?
ta

I have one of those up front in my place!!!

Next door neighbour has one in his board on the side that controls the garage/workshop too.

there is a 30mA Rcd half way down the bus
would this setup be acceptable for eicar or unsatisfactory?
also, there are two breakers which are lableled cooker and central heating, these are unused the wires go nowhere, , its lagacy of old house, cooker and ch are on kitchen ring now
should it fail eicar for this?
ta

So it controls nothing? Why would it be a fail on an EICR?

worked in telcomms for many years matey, well up on electrics and hands on eletronics but not familiar with this stuff, dont worry im not diy, just wanna know exactly whats going on and dont wanna be taken for a ride by the bloke who failed my eicar,

Tell you what CMP mate, tell us all the facts and why you're asking and we can give you the why's and wherefores until then I'm off to the boozer. Bye.

No he is not taking the pee

Unable to trace final circuit... if he has it as a c2 its a fail, c3 then not, i thought it was c2 but im not 100% sure, hence the edit

Fail.. End of story

Last edited by a moderator:
many thanks llandeilo, a straight answer:)
so is c2 fail and c3 pass?
and would unconnected but labeled breakers be c2 as well?

I think you need to give us more info

Against each of the C1, C2 and C3 there should be a statement - can you list them?

And add in the one that covers your other thread too!!

cmp, you really need to explain what you have a bit clearer....

a 100mA RCD main switch feeding a few MCBs and a 30mA RCD which then feeds the remainder of the MCBs?

Nothing obvious wrong with that so far.
2 MCBs where the "wires go nowhere". So their are cables to these MCBs? where does the other end go to? is it terminated properly?
If this isn't clear then I'd put it down as needing more investigation.

You appear to be implying that someone has done an EICR as unsatisfactory. If this is the case what are the codes and comments?

EDIT: oops, Murdoch can type faster ;)

It should not be a satisfactory outcome(pass) with any C1 or C2 but you can issue a satisfactory eicr with C3's , but what your sparky determined as C2 or C3 is down to his experience and professional judgement

its the 100ms time delay i was wondering about on the 100mA trip

sorry gota give my kids dinner now, will reply lare with list as req

there's nowt wrong with a 100mA delay RCD as main switch. as long as there's a 30mA RCD covering sockets for general use ( assuming the installation was done to the 16th ed. prior to 2008 when RCDs were specified for more circuits, then that would just be a code C3 ( non-compliance with current regs.) and that is NOT a fail. code C1 is a real and immediate dasnger of fire, injury or death. code C2 is a potentialo danger ......... both these are fails. a C3 is not.

Reply to 100ms time delay rcd on main domestic unit?g in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net