Discuss 110v PAT Testing in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

shocker

Hello

Could someone please verify how to PAT test a 110V site transformer and 110V site boxes (4 x 16A sockets).

Are they Class 1 as there is no description on them.My tester cannot do 110V run tests.

Also under the IEE regs do you have to test every 3 months for any 110V kit such as extension leads etc used by the construction boys on sites?
Its alittle confusion as some 230V portable kit eg drills / grinders can be done at 6 months?

Many thanks
D

hi there, i work on temps on a constuction site and do not pat test 415v 110v transformers as they r given a full insulation, continuity, earth, rcd test every 3 months, for your other gear if your pat tester does not do 110v gear, use your megger and all 110v gear, leads etc are tested every 3 months and office equipment every 12 months.

Hi,
Does your PAT tester have a 110V socket, 230V socket & 230V IEC plug?
If it does then what you need is an adapter lead with a 110V plug and one end, and 230V socket at the other.
You also need a kettle type lead which has 230V plug at one end, and IEC socket at the other.

Plug the 110V transormer into the 230V socket of the PAT tester, then plug the 110V plug adapter into the output socket of the transformer. The kettle type lead then goes between the 110V adapter lead, and the IEC plug connector of the PAT tester. You then test as Class 1.

Testing of extension leads uses the same adapter setup. Plug of 110V lead going straight into the PAT tester, 110V adapter into the other end of the lead, and kettle lead between 110V adaper & PAT tester.

As said previously if its 110V construction site equipment then 3 monthly intervals.

Hope that helps.

Many thanks for answering my query.

I have the test leads etc ,my main problem now you have mentioned its a CL1 is finding a good earth point,I do have croc and probe test leads but just could not get a connection.

I presume also the length of cable is dependant for 110 - is the same for testing 230V extension leads for earth bond ?

Cheers
D

Hi again,
The earth bond test is between the supply plug and earth pin of the outlet sockets. And as far as readings are concerned I bet they will be well under 0.1 even with the flex included ;)

Hi there....

as with 230v equipment.... check the label on the appliance for its Class, and if missing treat as a Class 1.

Some 110v plugs/appliance are earthed and some are not.

All extensions and 4-way devices should always be earthed. The same as with a standard home/office 4-gang extension.

This is because if an earthed appliance is used and there is a failure then the only route to earth is the user (electrocution).

During the visual inspection (one of the most important tests on 110v equipment) you should always open the plug on a lead/appliance and check connections are tight and correct and check inside the plug for rust/contamination.

When testing the earth continuity on a 110v appliance or extension, its pretty much the same. Put the earth probe to the earth pin in any socket to ensure adeqate earth for attached appliances, and also check that any exposed metal-work is earth also.

Reply to 110v PAT Testing in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net