Search the forum,

Discuss 16th edition qualified thinking of coming back. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

V

Vonnegut

Hi All,

This my first post here with a serious question, so be gentle.....

I took my 16th edition years ago (about a year before part P was introduced), but have only been working on light industrial stuff occasionally as part of my job.

A change in circumstances has started me thinking I should go at it alone (am I mad?!!!).

So the question is...

Can I hit the ground running as a self employed sparky with just my 16th edition (but obviously working to current regs), or do I need to wait until I can take the 17th edition course?

I intend to brush up on the new regs ASAP and before I do anything (via regs book and site guide etc etc), but I dont think there are are 17th edition courses starting until later in the year and this may be a bit late.

Advice from the experienced always welcome.

Paul

you will need the 17th if you are joining a scam ( niceic, elecsa, napit).

Hi All,

I took my 16th edition years ago (about a year before part P was introduced), but have only been working on light industrial stuff occasionally as part of my job.

A change in circumstances has started me thinking I should go at it alone (am I mad?!!!).

So the question is...

Can I hit the ground running as a self employed sparky with just my 16th edition (but obviously working to current regs), or do I need to wait until I can take the 17th edition course?

I intend to brush up on the new regs ASAP and before I do anything (via regs book and site guide etc etc), but I dont think there are are 17th edition courses starting until later in the year and this may be a bit late.

Paul

I would strongly recommend you do the 17th because it's what all potential employers will want, even if your self-employed, further, if you take on domestic work you need to join a scam and i would not advocate anyone doing any domestic work without a good grounding in the 17th to make sure your compliant, or any errors could be costly, both financially and professionally.

Go for it pal life's too short for regrets!

Thanks all for the inputs.

It looks like I will be pootling along with a part time job for the moment until I can get the cash together for the 17th edition and the scam money.

Thanks all for the inputs.

It looks like I will be pootling along with a part time job for the moment until I can get the cash together for the 17th edition and the scam money.

In the meantime try your hand at this, Exam Simulator it's a simulated 17th edition exam written by Eric Sheard who runs these courses. It'll give you an idea of the type of information required to pass the exam.

You may well be insane but arn,t we all, yep go for it work within you skill zone and do the 17th at local tech or study at home, I did then went and sat the GOLA joina scheme when you have 1000 quid to spare
Pict

Hi All,

So the question is...

Paul
Hi mate i was in the same situation,i was 16th edition qualified and needed to do the 2382 to apply for ECS card, i was struggling for cash a bit so didnt want to pay 400 to do a 3 day course so i invested 15 quid in a book called exam success IET wiring regulations, it cost 15 quid and if you study this it will help you understand the structure of the exam.After i studied this i searched for a local college who would allow me to sit it as an external candidate but all of them wanted me to sit the full course (£)...anyway i finally found a place in nottingham called training in electrical who allowed me to sit exam only for £75 ,dont be put off by colleges saying they wont allow you to take exam only as they are just trying to earn extra £...so i spent 75 on exam and 15 on the study book and i had to buy the latest regs which training in electrical gave me at a good price and then 36 on a ECS health and safety asessment and i am now waiting for my ECS card to come through. Good luck

Reply to 16th edition qualified thinking of coming back. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net