Discuss 18th edition Exam layout in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all.
Currently awaiting to sit the 18th edition exam however I am doing the Exam Only as opposed to the course & exam.
Could anyone tell me if the layout of exam includes the part of the book beside the question?
I've included two pictures of the same question for reference, is the questions in order from part 1 to 5?
Is the part number the answer is in in the book included beside the question the way sparkyninjas appears?
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• Snapchat-859278231.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 27
  • 20200109_160712.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 26
When I sat it, the tutor told us beforehand that the first X questions were on Part 1, the next Y on Part 2, and so on. So we knew if we kept track which part any question would be on. I don't recall the laptop screens explicitly saying which part for each question, though I may be wrong.

^^^^^
There’s some wide boys on here, who bought the book, watched the film, then passed graduation without some expensive person reading through the book for them, then passing them some questions to ask.

I did such a course for the 17th, when I returned then to the industry. Wasn’t money well spent IMO.

ÂŁ150 for a one day or ÂŁ299 for a two day course both including the exam and a regs book to use if you need one is pennies in the scheme of things if your on a tight budget. How much is the exam on its own ? and how easy to find a time and date to sit ?

Decent sparks can and do earn decent money so the above is pennies as far I see it, so why scrimp and scrape when its your living is unbelievable.

I’m doing exam only this month...£118 inc vat, wouldn’t recommend this if you’ve never sat any previous 16th/17th etc but if you use the regs book regularly then it’s pretty easy to navigate which is all they teach you on the courses

ÂŁ150 for a one day or ÂŁ299 for a two day course both including the exam and a regs book to use if you need one is pennies in the scheme of things if your on a tight budget. How much is the exam on its own ? and how easy to find a time and date to sit ?

Decent sparks can and do earn decent money so the above is pennies as far I see it, so why scrimp and scrape when its your living is unbelievable.
I’m just saying, the weekend course and the Monday evening exam, never gave me any training and only taught me how to use a books contents and index pages.

In response to your question, the part or section are not included in the question, but they do follow the same order, so the first few questions are from part 1, next questions will be part 2 etc, they never go back to a previous part once leaving it, but they will go back to an earlier portion of the same section.

e.g you can get a question about say medical locations, then the next question is locations with bath or shower - i.e. same part (7) but not the same order as the part is written.

Basically all any course will give you is how to understand the book and how it works, so if you can sit through sparkyninja he explains this.

Almost all the questions have a direct answer direct from the book, those that don't are in the minority and do require you to understand the principles.

The biggest point is to read the question properly, many have two or more answers that come direct from the book, but if you re-read the question you realise only one of the book answers actually fits, so as an example, the answers from the book may be visual, sound, smell and touch - all appear to fit, but read carefully and you spot the question asks "...how would you identify an underrated piece of equipment prior to energisation..." - which actually only visual would fit as the other two would require the system to be energised before it got hot or buzzed etc

2 minutes to find an answer to a question that is not always word for word in the book, you need to know a good percentage of the answers to questions through having electrical knowledge/experience otherwise doubt anyone would pass.

I got 97% even though it was not needed but knew a few amount of the answers off the top of my head through experience etc but done the course over a day then a mock the next morning then the exam at midday.

I've done the 16th and 17th and this was harder imo and people on that course were doomed to fail due to lack of knowledge in the industry whether it was book exercise or not. They struggled on the course period.

The OP is asking about the exam format layout not the pros and cons of how you go about sitting it.

Last edited:
Just to add, I just did the exam only for the 18th, I went through it fairly quickly, in around 20mins initially, but the one thing that you can do is flag questions, so those that require you to look something up which is difficult, I pick an answer, and flag it, other questions such as "what section covers medical facilities?" - this is a quick lookup in the index of section 7, so I check it via the book, and don't flag the question

After finishing, I go back over all the flagged questions and have more time to look for the answers as there is now no pressure if you know you have answered ~70% already.

As above I got 59/60 - there will always be one question that you go back over again and again wondering what the proper answer is!

To the op.

I take it from your initial post, that you have already booked/paid for your exam - is this correct?

If so, then it's rather a moot point, you need to try a few on-line exams and see how you go, remembering that if you get a question wrong, don't just move on, read it and see why you got it wrong. It's most likely that you didn't read the question properly, or just answered without really taking notice.

If you haven't already booked it, then if its your first exam of this type, then a course may be more beneficial.

When I sat it, the tutor told us beforehand that the first X questions were on Part 1, the next Y on Part 2, and so on. So we knew if we kept track which part any question would be on. I don't recall the laptop screens explicitly saying which part for each question, though I may be wrong.
Thank you very much mate. That is exactly the question I was trying to ask. If the tutor tells you how many questions are in each part then that's as good as it being labelled for me.
The reason I asked is when I have been revising over past papers no such information is stated & questions don't always appear to be in order.
[automerge]1578601600[/automerge]
In response to your question, the part or section are not included in the question, but they do follow the same order, so the first few questions are from part 1, next questions will be part 2 etc, they never go back to a previous part once leaving it, but they will go back to an earlier portion of the same section.

e.g you can get a question about say medical locations, then the next question is locations with bath or shower - i.e. same part (7) but not the same order as the part is written.

Basically all any course will give you is how to understand the book and how it works, so if you can sit through sparkyninja he explains this.

Almost all the questions have a direct answer direct from the book, those that don't are in the minority and do require you to understand the principles.

The biggest point is to read the question properly, many have two or more answers that come direct from the book, but if you re-read the question you realise only one of the book answers actually fits, so as an example, the answers from the book may be visual, sound, smell and touch - all appear to fit, but read carefully and you spot the question asks "...how would you identify an underrated piece of equipment prior to energisation..." - which actually only visual would fit as the other two would require the system to be energised before it got hot or buzzed etc
Thank you very much Julie. I understand exactly what you mean & I appreciate the help.
[automerge]1578601738[/automerge]
I don’t understand your question? Does the exam question, tell you which part of BS7671 you might find the answer?
Yes. I was just wondering if the relevant part of the book would be labelled per question.
[automerge]1578602027[/automerge]

I learned to read a regs book when I was in college. I'm not doing the Exam only because it's cheaper. Exam only costs around ÂŁ100 so it's not that much cheaper than the one day course.. I don't have time to spare right now for the course. I am confident in my ability to navigate the regs book independently. The reason for my question was just out of curiosity of how the questions were laid out..
[automerge]1578602278[/automerge]
The OP is asking about the exam format layout no the pros and cons of how you go about sitting it.
Your 100% correct pal. I just wondered because the questions in some of the past papers I have completed have not been in order at all. If it is in order in the exam as has been stated it will be far more convenient.

Last edited:
As above I got 59/60 - there will always be one question that you go back over again and again wondering what the proper answer is!

Yes, theres always the one question that throws you.
I got 59/60 correct, and am pretty certain the one I got wrong was one about an obscure part of the swimming pools section.
But since all my work is in theatres and entertainment venues I'm not too fussed, they don't have many swimming pools (except the basement when it rains)

Reply to 18th edition Exam layout in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net