Discuss 230 volts between N and E in lighting circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Decky

Hi folks. I'm wondering if anyone can help with a lighting circuit fault I came across today that has me slightly baffled. I have a circuit consisting of about 5 standard pendants and 3 fluorescent fittings. The original problem was in relation to a 6 ft fitting needing new starters/tubes (according to the customer). Upon arriving, I noticed the problem had escalated with all lights in that particular circuit being out. After first checking to see if the 5 amp fuse at the board had blown (which it hadn't) I then opened the 3 fluorescent lights to check voltage only to find that there was 230v between N and E. I then disconnected all 3 tube lights from the supply to rule out any ballast faults etc and still had 230 between neutral and earth. Obviously this isn't normal, and I have encountered borrowed neutral situations in the past but this one is proving quite a headache. any ideas?

Thanks​

It's just standard testing proceedures to find the broken neutral. Are you an apprentice or trainee Decky?

I've got a suspicion Dave didn't actually type that post, more likely a result of him using tissues on his keyboard to clean up the mouthful of coffee or beer he lost a few seconds previously whilst reading the question ;)

Come on,Dave,no-one is going to work out the problem,if you hide it in a long,rambling post such as this...:smile5:

Aye aye aye, I can't win around here can I?
One minute my long rambling critical posts are being criticised, then when I give a direct answer someone has to comment!

a long,rambling post such as this

Yes, all he needed to say was 'O/C N' and any half-decent spark would understand.
Or maybe 'Rn>>R1'.
Or 'O Rly?'.

if there is another light on the same circuit that is working I would check the outgoing N at that point & then move on to next light from that point.

Hi folks. I'm wondering if anyone can help with a lighting circuit fault I came across today that has me slightly baffled. I have a circuit consisting of about 5 standard pendants and 3 fluorescent fittings. The original problem was in relation to a 6 ft fitting needing new starters/tubes (according to the customer). Upon arriving, I noticed the problem had escalated with all lights in that particular circuit being out. After first checking to see if the 5 amp fuse at the board had blown (which it hadn't) I then opened the 3 fluorescent lights to check voltage only to find that there was 230v between N and E. I then disconnected all 3 tube lights from the supply to rule out any ballast faults etc and still had 230 between neutral and earth. Obviously this isn't normal, and I have encountered borrowed neutral situations in the past but this one is proving quite a headache. any ideas?

Thanks​

Did you measure the voltage at the pendants? N-E

Reply to 230 volts between N and E in lighting circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net