Currently reading:
3 core - what colour do you use as a switch wire?

Discuss 3 core - what colour do you use as a switch wire? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Interesting point - surely black and grey, if used as strappers, dont need to be sleeved or taped brown as they are two of the possible three 'live' colours?!?! Is this wrong?!

Interesting point - surely black and grey, if used as strappers, dont need to be sleeved or taped brown as they are two of the possible three 'live' colours?!?! Is this wrong?!

used to have same argument with red/yellow/blue. general opinion was treat any cable as live unless proved otherwise. sadly common sense is out the window these days, and we have to allow for idiots.

I'm with you but grey black brown are ALL BS7671 LIVE colours. Ok as strappers they are not three phase l1 l2 l3 but they are live colours. Not 'any colours' if you see what i mean mate.

In the end it falls into good practice and again shows the lack of clear definition in the regs. I don't see any issue with anyone using black or brown for permanent live, my personal choice is brown for perm, black for switched.
Where the lack of guidance shows up is on big sites with multiple sparks working on the same installation. It means that rather than being able to just get in and do the job, you are going around asking the colour codes that they have been using.
For example, I had to go around and fit some timer switches, all other accessories wired and fixed back so no visible wiring Barr for the cable I was to terminate, a three core. I spoke to the spark on site who informed me that brown was permanent live. I therefore went and terminated all 300 switches with brown as permanent. When it came to energisation it became apparent that 200 or so weren't working, the reason, another spark, now on holiday, had been on site and wired black as perm as this was what he always did, this obviously unknown until so many didn't work, thus a lot more work created putting right.
I understand we use sleeving to identify wiring, however we should also have a standard set as to what we use for perm or switch, neutral, etc, so that confusion is to a minimum.

In the end it falls into good practice and again shows the lack of clear definition in the regs. I don't see any issue with anyone using black or brown for permanent live, my personal choice is brown for perm, black for switched.
Where the lack of guidance shows up is on big sites with multiple sparks working on the same installation. It means that rather than being able to just get in and do the job, you are going around asking the colour codes that they have been using.
For example, I had to go around and fit some timer switches, all other accessories wired and fixed back so no visible wiring Barr for the cable I was to terminate, a three core. I spoke to the spark on site who informed me that brown was permanent live. I therefore went and terminated all 300 switches with brown as permanent. When it came to energisation it became apparent that 200 or so weren't working, the reason, another spark, now on holiday, had been on site and wired black as perm as this was what he always did, this obviously unknown until so many didn't work, thus a lot more work created putting right.
I understand we use sleeving to identify wiring, however we should also have a standard set as to what we use for perm or switch, neutral, etc, so that confusion is to a minimum.

My word, that would be well annoying!! I use brown perm and black switched. And then grey to link the commons.

Good job they don't "have a guess" at 5/10/20 pair or more Blue instrument cables I've seen that done where a so called spark makes his own colour code up on a site, caused many a problem at commissioning time lol

I cannot believe that my apprentices tutor at college (Leeds college of Building) is actually teaching his students to use black as neutral with a blue sleeve and grey for switched wire or strapper in a 3 core cable 2-way circuit.

He is adamant he is right and my apprentice is worried he will fail his exam as I have told him I NEVER want to see a black wire used as a neutral in any of our work.....EVER!

There is no sense in this at all.

Reply to 3 core - what colour do you use as a switch wire? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back