Discuss 3 core - what colour do you use as a switch wire? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

as msg 6. any other way is a deviation. grey is the old black. im sure its wrighten somwhere.. but im on the beer again, and the chance of finding the page is as good as zero

Ah, this old chestnut.

Black (sleeved brown) as permanent live, because that's how flex 7, rock etc flexes come pre-wired, and because you use brown as switched live everywhere else where you haven't got a permanent live so it keeps it consistent.
Brown as switched live as you usually would if there weren't a permanent live.
Grey (sleeved blue) as neutral.

Also because 4 core flex comes with brown, black, blue, and green & yellow.
Black as Auxiliary live.

Brown as L1 with the feed (also brown) so browns go together.
Grey as L2 (sleeved brown) with the switched live (blue, sleeved brown)
Black (sleeved brown) because it's the other one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was told at time of harmonisation to get away from using black as neutral we had to "deneutralise the black" if that's even a word!!

when doing em and normal lighting mixed, it's usually black (sleeved) for perm., brown for switched.

Brown permanent live.
black switch line.
grey switch linear neutral.
harmonisation did state not to use back as neutral any more so that it did not get confused with old black neutrals therefore you had in old 3 phase boards black and greys as neutrals. That wouldn't confuse any body would it.
also I was taught on a 2way switch if you follow the circuit through the switch in the off position then the grey would actually be a neutral.
check it out it s true via the lamp

"harmonisation" did state not to use back as neutral any more !!!

Did he..............where?
Is this harmony guy still on the tools...........so to speak?

And I take it you meant black not back:)

Brown permanent live.
black switch line.
grey switch linear neutral.
harmonisation did state not to use back as neutral any more so that it did not get confused with old black neutrals therefore you had in old 3 phase boards black and greys as neutrals. That wouldn't confuse any body would it.
also I was taught on a 2way switch if you follow the circuit through the switch in the off position then the grey would actually be a neutral.
check it out it s true via the lamp

how can grey be a neutral in 2 way switching when they're all live or switched live?

Ah, this old chestnut.

Black (sleeved brown) as permanent live, because that's how flex 7, rock etc flexes come pre-wired, and because you use brown as switched live everywhere else where you haven't got a permanent live so it keeps it consistent.

Black as Auxiliary live.

exactly. greg flexes come pre-wired in that exact way. so black as perm L.

how can grey be a neutral in 2 way switching when they're all live or switched live?

Draw out the circuit including the lamp. Back trace the neutral through the lamp to the switch and when the switch is off the grey is connected to neutral. Image the lamp s a link not a load.
i know it's barmey but in some weird way it makes sense lol

So who can come up with any kind of argument for using black as switched live and brown as permanent, other than 'that's what you do'?

Check out posts #3 & #5

Ahhh but your missing the whole point thomas .......if you don't mind me saying.
As long as it's sleeved the same colour (at both ends) it won't be a black anymore..........it'll be blue if used as a neutral:)

As poster #3, of course I sleeve a neutral with blue, and a switched live with brown - and at both ends!

I checked my BS7671 and OSG, there didn't seem to be anything I could find to say it was wrong to be using the black in a 3-core brown/grey/black cable for neutral, so long as it is sleeved blue. Not sure if various bits of guidance around the time of the change over suggesting we should not do this carry any weight. But I'm happy to change if someone can point out a regulation or best practice I've overlooked.

Ah, this old chestnut.

Black as Auxiliary live.

Going to say that myself as when you get pre wired kliks/gregs the black is normally the permanent live

As poster #3, of course I sleeve a neutral with blue, and a switched live with brown - and at both ends!

I checked my BS7671 and OSG, there didn't seem to be anything I could find to say it was wrong to be using the black in a 3-core brown/grey/black cable for neutral, so long as it is sleeved blue. Not sure if various bits of guidance around the time of the change over suggesting we should not do this carry any weight. But I'm happy to change if someone can point out a regulation or best practice I've overlooked.

My sentiments exactly mate :)

Reply to 3 core - what colour do you use as a switch wire? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net