Discuss 3-Way Dimmer Dilemma in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

AFAIK North American wiring practice has always been to loop at the switches, not the fittings.

His diagram exactly matches the description of how his lights behave.

We need him to return and confirm, but I'm pretty sure there is no permanent line at either light and there is no permanent line at Box 2.

Looking on the tinteweb it seems loop in to lighting points is common practice in canada but they also like us use the loop into switches sometimes too.

By the way...

You do realise that if you do that, and you turn the light on at Box 1, it will come on at whatever brightness the dimmer in Box 2 is set to?
Yes that is how standard dimmers are normally installed on a 2 way circuit otherwise we would only fit them on 1 way circuits which is very limiting, it ain't going to be a big issue to go across and choose the correct level once you turned the light on and moved across the room, it domestic after all and what are we talking about 5m away?

Yes I edited that to note the OP is from Canada , but the forum uses these terms hence I laid an explanation out so we are all singing from the same hymn sheet, unless you can decipher that plan and help out.
Sorry guys. What I mistakenly called a 2-Way switch is actually a single-pole switch. The 3-way switches are common terminology here.

I would if I could. I was hoping there might be a way without having to run an extra cable through the walls. There is a counter outlet within inches of Box 2. I guess I could get direct power for the switch from that outlet to run the fluorescent fixture. Although the counter outlets are by regulations supposed to be on their own breakers.

AFAIK North American wiring practice has always been to loop at the switches, not the fittings.

His diagram exactly matches the description of how his lights behave.

We need him to return and confirm, but I'm pretty sure there is no permanent line at either light and there is no permanent line at Box 2.
That's right, the only power in Box 2 comes from the 3-way switch in Box 1.

Since I can't run another cable through the walls and I don't want to have a remote controller, I think what I'll do is replace the fluorescent fixture with a dimmable LED ceiling fixture. Then the dimmer switch will control the brightness of both sets of lights and the single-pole switch will simply turn the new fixture on or off.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

Cheers

Reply to 3-Way Dimmer Dilemma in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net