Discuss 6X4 Garden Shed in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Guest77

I have contacted a Scheme with regard to becomming a Part P Electrician, I have my 17th and My pat testing one day certificate, now a Scheme who I won't mention for legal reasons has suggested if I can produce a Certificate for an installion and I pay the 400 Sobs they will have me on board.

Okay my plan, I have bought a Garden shed, it is 6 ft by 4 ft and is 20 foot from my house, I intend to dig a 1 ft deep trench and install a 6mm2 twin and earth cable inside a water plastic waste pipe to protect it from a socket in my Kitchen to the shed. I will install a RCD fused switch spur in the Kitchen off a socket which is on the ring and connect the twin and earth from there.

I will disconnect the earth at the shed end and install a earth rod into the garden and convert to a TT system, inside the shed I intend to install one plastic double socket and then a switched spur with a 3 amp fuse for the light, I may plug a lawn mower into the socket. Now my intial thoughts are all will be fine, however there is a metal window in the shed, do I need to install a 10mm2 earth wire to bond this? I have been told yes and no by different friends, I need to get this right, thanks for your help, all comments are welcomed and I won't listen to any nasty posts, please be kind, I am new.

I have contacted a Scheme with regard to becomming a Part P Electrician, I have my 17th and My pat testing one day certificate, now a Scheme who I won't mention for legal reasons has suggested if I can produce a Certificate for an installion and I pay the 400 Sobs they will have me on board.

Okay my plan, I have bought a Garden shed, it is 6 ft by 4 ft and is 20 foot from my house, I intend to dig a 1 ft deep trench and install a 6mm2 twin and earth cable inside a water plastic waste pipe to protect it from a socket in my Kitchen to the shed. I will install a RCD fused switch spur in the Kitchen off a socket which is on the ring and connect the twin and earth from there.

I will disconnect the earth at the shed end and install a earth rod into the garden and convert to a TT system, inside the shed I intend to install one plastic double socket and then a switched spur with a 3 amp fuse for the light, I may plug a lawn mower into the socket. Now my intial thoughts are all will be fine, however there is a metal window in the shed, do I need to install a 10mm2 earth wire to bond this? I have been told yes and no by different friends, I need to get this right, thanks for your help, all comments are welcomed and I won't listen to any nasty posts, please be kind, I am new.

Buy paraffin light
buy petrol lawnmower

no fuss no muss! :grin:

Replace metal window with a piece of Perspex and wooden beads, also use crazy foam on ends of "duct" to keep the rodents out. I assume you have the T&E spare as 2.5 would be cheaper and actually make the lights brighter.

No need for the rcd fused spur, just use an extension lead with built in rcd.

Put lights on a 3Amp plug and plug that into extension.

If any more sockets are needed just buy another extension lead.

Remember 2 RCD's in series is bad so 2nd extension lead must not have RCD.

Hope this helps your cheque clear with the scam.

That's way over the top in regards to safety. Look at the standards of installation in India and Asia. Not too many get killed there do they?

Nuffin better to do then mate??? lol

Are you saying that the socket in the kitchen is a bit of a Bully when it comes to twin and earth cable, if so I should have a word with it Mike:grin:

That's way over the top in regards to safety. Look at the standards of installation in India and Asia. Not too many get killed there do they?

We recently had an english technical sales rep over to look at a machine. When we were having our lunch, he was showing us photos of the different ****ries he had visited. Bahrain was particularly rough. There was a piece of flex stripped back and shoved into the pins of a socket. (amid a multitude of other things).

@OP. if the shed is metal framed, then yo're doing the right thing by installing a TT rod thingy. something about the supplires return cable nor returning due to pikeys nicking copper. gives that metal skin a nice tingly feel.

Since his post has been fully answered I'll try for some help.
I've similarly done a week long course and am fully qualified although I don't have this Pat's testing course, I don't know who she is either so any help on that would be great. I have got a P part though as it was included in the £6000 I paid to the training people. I'd ring them but I don't want to look stupid to them so thought I'd ask you friendly lot.
I've been consulted by a customer who wants power to an outbuilding which is an unspecified distance away from the house. I also should add that the gear that's going into this outbuilding hasn't been decided either. I reckon a 4mm flat cable with an earth a live and a neutral should do the job. I think the outbuilding will be brick built but couldn't swear to that just now.
I plan on putting an reduced current device on each end of the cable as I think it will increase safety.
Any help available please? I also need to get this right as I'm using this job to get my P part membership off this

Reply to 6X4 Garden Shed in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net