Discuss 80 KVA spot welder in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi Numnuts, welcome to the forum :)

Could you please at least bring something to the table here, can you give us the the installation methods, cable length etc and at the very least show us your calculations with the size you believe is required, we would be more than happy to confirm or correct you from there on.

Hi Numnuts, welcome to the forum :)

Could you please at least bring something to the table here, can you give us the the installation methods, cable length etc and at the very least show us your calculations with the size you believe is required, we would be more than happy to confirm or correct you from there on.

The cable will be aprox. 10m and clipped or tied to cable tray .

Forget I ever asked

Op You have come to the forum and just thrown a very vague question at the members without even offering any of your own thoughts or calculations, the Guys will be more than happy to help out if you meet them half way.
It's been said many times, the forum isn't here just to supply free info.

Cable current rating is different on tray than it is clipped to a surface, so it is important information
With the OP's response to you, It is clear he is unaware you were asking a very valid question, this leads me to believe the OP isn't competent to design the welder supply and expected to use the forum as a free design service. My recommendation to the OP is to employ a competent Electrician to work along side and to ensure this install is done correctly.

FAO the OP- Further to the fitting of a supply cable, the correct front end fusing is crucial in design to ensure no nuisance tripping, this may reflect on the earthing and the eventual cable size chosen to ensure Zs is within permitted values.
Additional to this is the size of this welder unit, it may require a PF correction system fitting to the origin to ensure the customer doesn't get fined for creating excessive transients to the local network. (This is of course circumstantial, again info we do not have).

What may seem like a simple question from the OP's point of view is actually a lot more complex and involved than I believe he imagines.

Last edited:

Reply to 80 KVA spot welder in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net