Discuss Additional small addition to an existing PV system so retaining existing FiT rate. in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

danesol

For installers really and what approx price would you say for this ?

To add 4 x 280w ( ideally ) or 6 x 180w panels on a new roof (30deg, no shading ) facing due WEST in Cheshire using a 2nd INVERTER and 2nd generation meter to give a further 1.12kwh array to an already existing 2.88kw South facing system.

Connection would be directly into the currently Henley block, utilising ~20mtrs of armoured (AC) cabling from roof, which btw is a straight run through the gable end wall straight down to the Henley Block in wall cabinet.

What would be the best combination of kit to use ?

What sort of ROI would you be looking at and what level of generation would it gain ( It was assumed around the 680kwh/yr fig ?? )

What target dates are there with this in mind too ???

Please feel free to pm a quote should you not want to display publically

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Additional small addition to an existing PV system so retaining existing FiT rate

The extension will have no effect on the fit rate of the existing 2.88kWp system. The extension will be at the then prevailing rate for the size of the total system, in additon the building must have an epc od D on or before the date of commissioning of the extension.
So why not put what you can on the new roof?
A 1.12kWp addition would therefore be at the 15.44p rate
A 4kWp addition would be at the 12.59 rate.

The BIGGER influence will be how much would be consumed - what's the current daytime base load of the property?

Re: Additional small addition to an existing PV system so retaining existing FiT rate

The extension will have no effect on the fit rate of the existing 2.88kWp system. The extension will be at the then prevailing rate for the size of the total system, in additon the building must have an epc od D on or before the date of commissioning of the extension.
So why not put what you can on the new roof?
A 1.12kWp addition would therefore be at the 15.44p rate

The BIGGER influence will be how much would be consumed - what's the current daytime base load of the property?

EPC - no issue whatsoever, I would imagine its a "B" atm

So basically, you are suggesting forget the 4kw "limit" and fill up that roof as physically possible to obtain the prevailing rate for systems >4kwh and just apply for a G59 ?

Daytime load isnt vast - a constant 500w (standby) with 20kwh+ consumed throughout the day.

Physically, I dont think the roof would take a vast lot more, but I'll measure up exactly now you have suggested this - thanks

Actually 13.99p. Without an EPC 'D' you would only get 7.1p and those tariffs are all fixed until 30th June.

Going over 3.68kW in total may require prior permission from the DNO.

The extension will have no effect on the fit rate of the existing 2.88kWp system.

One supplier has just come back to me and stated they dont do 4 panel based systems and I would need to buy a 5 panel based system from them.

However they went on to state that the new ( additional 15.44p ) system would reduce my existing 43p FiT tariff system as the new system would have the same billing address and they claim "REAL - the governing body" state the total opposite of everything everyone else is claiming in that they are kept separate !!! ???

One supplier has just come back to me and stated they dont do 4 panel based systems and I would need to buy a 5 panel based system from them.

However they went on to state that the new ( additional 15.44p ) system would reduce my existing 43p FiT tariff system as the new system would have the same billing address and they claim "REAL - the governing body" state the total opposite of everything everyone else is claiming in that they are kept separate !!! ???

Foot note - this is coming from a massive national company as well based out of East Anglia - when i suggested he was wrong, it had nothing to do with REAL and I believe he meant DECC - he said no - REAL ???

Just to enlarge on this and clarify - he stated that there wouldnt be enough voltage to run 4 panels especially as it was in a due WEST direction - this surprised me as well as we hadnt even got to discussing which kit, we were barely off the postcode level questions, but informed him that locally WEST based systems in my particular area did exceedingly well in 2012

I hadnt got the heart or energy to inform him I'd run it through Sunny Designer already with a SMA 1200 Inverter with cheapo panels and it was fine, I thought I'd accept what the professional was telling me !!

Please tell me I was talking to the tea boy ??

Just to enlarge on this and clarify - he stated that there wouldnt be enough voltage to run 4 panels especially as it was in a due WEST direction - this surprised me as well as we hadnt even got to discussing which kit, we were barely off the postcode level questions, but informed him that locally WEST based systems in my particular area did exceedingly well in 2012

I hadnt got the heart or energy to inform him I'd run it through Sunny Designer already with a SMA 1200 Inverter with cheapo panels and it was fine, I thought I'd accept what the professional was telling me !!

Please tell me I was talking to the tea boy ??

Hopefully, we have installed a couple of systems with 4 panels into an SMA 1200 or similar. As long as the high voltage 51 V panels such as Jetion, HJ Solar or Galium 833 panels then it will work.

I have it in writing somewhere from Ofgem, and we've installed and had accepted systems on that basis including an upgrade from 10kWp to 50kWp.

TBF, 4 panel systems using standard 30V panels could well hit problems at certain points in the year. We'd usually recommend 5 x 200Wp 36V 80cm wide panels instead, or 4 x 50V panels to get the voltage up away from the lower limit on the SB1200.

If you're having quotes from East Anglia, maybe we could supply a quote - we have scaf towers / easidec for access, or an arrangement with a Wigan based scaf supplier, and have done a dozen installs or so on that side of the penines.

Reply to Additional small addition to an existing PV system so retaining existing FiT rate. in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net