Discuss Advice for repair dehumdifier cable in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Bingjamin

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,
The wire of my dehumdifier is broken (Meaco 20L Low Energy). The wire was being pulled over a period of time, which seems to have lead to a break in the wire. It got to the point where I had sparks and some flames/smoke which lead me to stop using it very promptly.
Im really struggling to find someone who will repair for me so am looking to do it myself. I am a complete notice to any electrical DIY but am genuinely relatively handy around the house.
Seems as if it would be pretty straight forward if it wasn't for the grommet/protector piece built into the cable and that the issue is very close to this part.
Anyone got any advice on the best way to go about getting this working again?
Thanks,
Dan

TL;DR
Advice for best way to go about replacing broken dehumidifier wire.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-05-01 at 13.41.28.jpeg
    212.9 KB · Views: 12
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-04-29 at 14.13.53.jpeg
    110.1 KB · Views: 10
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-04-29 at 11.47.45 (1).jpeg
    194.3 KB · Views: 10
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-04-29 at 11.47.45.jpeg
    303 KB · Views: 10
Bad product design unfortunately. You could replace it with a pre-made plug/flex and creative use of cable ties.

Is that where the grommet/protector piece was when the fault occurred? It's supposed to be located in the cut out in the casing is, to protect the cable from the sharp metal edge.

Optimistic but accurate point.

Reply to Advice for repair dehumdifier cable in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net