Discuss Can you work as an general labourer first and then find work as an electrician mate? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
So, I got a level 2-3 electrical installation diploma fresh out of college with no experience especially onsite. I was wondering whether working as a general labourer to get that onsite experience can lead me to any electrician mate roles via an agency later on. I am struggling to find any electrician mate roles after college and it seems they want people who has that commerical onsite experience which I do not currently have. I do have my own tools but no agency are willing to give someone without any experience an opportunity. Any help is appreciated.

Become a plasterers mate. You'll pick up plastering which will become a real bonus in the future.

Plus you'll come across electricians, and if you don't fill there backboxes with plaster, or interfere with there cables, you'll soon find one of them will find you very useful!

So, I got a level 2-3 electrical installation diploma fresh out of college with no experience especially onsite. I was wondering whether working as a general labourer to get that onsite experience can lead me to any electrician mate roles via an agency later on. I am struggling to find any electrician mate roles after college and it seems they want people who has that commerical onsite experience which I do not currently have. I do have my own tools but no agency are willing to give someone without any experience an opportunity. Any help is appreciated.
The advice above by @OnlQQker is spot on. Plasterers are one of the few trades we (as electricians) need. If you can plaster, you'll become a one man band for rewires which will make the job flow more easily, plus you'll earn more.

I'm sure as a general labourer you would also pick up useful experience though.

It sounds as though you have already approached companies to work as electricians mate, it would be best to ask them directly if work as a general labourer would count towards the onsite experience that they require.

Find a local building site and ask to speak to the Site Agent, do not enter the site without permission, unless there is designated safe path to the site office, the Site Agent can put you in touch with the electrical foreman who may be looking for an electrical labour, if your reliable (turn up every day) and hard working (not on the phone) they may take you on eventually, persevere in your local area first, then branch out into the local town.

It can't do any any harm to work generally on sites and who knows what opportunities might result. Better than putting all your effort into something which could turn out demoralising.
I think it's a great idea and shows a bright spark for getting your foot in the door........and wanting to progress.

Last edited:
Find a local building site and ask to speak to the Site Agent, do not enter the site without permission, unless there is designated safe path to the site office, the Site Agent can put you in touch with the electrical foreman who may be looking for an electrical labour, if your reliable (turn up every day) and hard working (not on the phone) they may take you on eventually, persevere in your local area first, then branch out into the local town.
Also, don't turn up to site wearing a flash pair of trainers and a crisp shirt.

its embarrassing if the foreman asks you to follow him/her to come speak with "bob or dave" and you are tiptoeing around the muddy bits so you don't get your feet wet.

a pair of boots, some work trousers and something with a collar on it will make you look smart enough for door to door site enquiries without looking like you have never done a days labour in your life.

Edit:
as above, The do not enter without permission is ABSOLUTLEY ESSENTIAL.
follow all guidance on the site signage, it is not there just for fun, people get sacked avery day for ignoring it.

you are never getting a job on that site if the first interaction with them is to be thrown out!!

Reply to Can you work as an general labourer first and then find work as an electrician mate? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net