Discuss Advice neeeded - I think I've drilled asbestos soffit !! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I've been to help a mate today, and I sorted the bathroom extractor while he finished off in the kitchen, access was very dodgy for a ladder so I decided to drill the soffit vent by reaching out of the bathroom window.
The soffit was plastic but after I'd drilled it, I realised that there was another layer under the plastic.
There was dust all over my arm, and some of it blew back towards the window, although I was inside.
I'm freaking out about it now and all sorts is going through my head, and I know hindsight is a wonderful thing.
I went outside as soon as I realised and shook my top off, and as soon as I got home I put my clothes in the wash.
Does anyone know if I've just committed suicide today.

Thanks in advance

Hahahaha! Drilling it once is not going to kill you! Chill your beans! We encounter asbestos most weeks usually after its been missed by a surveyor and found by a drill........ Anyway it can take up to 40 years to take a hold of them fleshy pink lungs

it's a very slow suicide if it was asbestos, and as mentioned it's the brown and blue which have the worst fibers, i wouldn't worry there isn't anything you can do a mate of mine had a board snap and land on his head, reported the incident sent to doctors doctor said come back in 40 years he was 40 when it happened anyway too.

i wouldn't lose sleep over it mate i know for a fact that i have inhaled some over the years as it's still everywhere, hospitals schools ect

I was told on a course that you've most likely breathed some before at some point in your life without ever knowing it for example been near some demolition works where some asbestos has been somewhere in the building and either no one realises it's there or they didn't care and its up in the air , I went past a site being knocked down with the asbestos blokes all kitted out taking off the roof some of it they were breaking up, they got their gear on and there's a school and housing estate surrounding it it so some fibres are going to end up near people surely.
Farmers are also known for handling it badly think of that lovely clean country air don't worry about it just avoid it or make sure you know how to work around it and thats all you can do really.

Hahahaha! Drilling it once is not going to kill you! Chill your beans! We encounter asbestos most weeks usually after its been missed by a surveyor and found by a drill........ Anyway it can take up to 40 years to take a hold of them fleshy pink lungs

I dont find asbestos funny in all fairness.. It taste like poo and gives you a bad chest

this at the OP.are you still alive? told you so. worry not.

alot of passenger linners are rife with the stuff and when you take deck heads down it goes everywhere don't tell the passengers though just run.
cough cough.

When I was young (about 3 I think) my Mum had an ironing board that was made of wood but had an Asbestos pad at the end to rest the iron on. I used to pick bits off as it was very flaky and play with the flakes - even chewing them.

She also had a thermometer to measure my temperature when I was sick. That thermometer had mercury in it and I broke it so I could play with the globules of mercury and when she bought a new one I broke that one and played with its mercury too.

A few years later at the age of about 11, I had a Chemistry Set and in that set there was a sheet of Asbestos about 6" square for resting hot test tubes etc. on.

At the ages between 12 and 18, I was involved in Model Engineering making working model steam engines and guess what I used to make gaskets for them? Yep, Asbestos again.

So now here I am at the wrong side of 60, but the right side of 70 and my chest, lungs and heart are all fine. I have had no ill effects brought on from playing with mercury either. I just wish I didn't have so much trouble with my back, hips and knees - problems that are the result of a lifetime of manual work and NOTHING to do with Asbestos or Mercury !!

When I was young (about 3 I think) my Mum had an ironing board that was made of wood but had an Asbestos pad at the end to rest the iron on. I used to pick bits off as it was very flaky and play with the flakes - even chewing them.

She also had a thermometer to measure my temperature when I was sick. That thermometer had mercury in it and I broke it so I could play with the globules of mercury and when she bought a new one I broke that one and played with its mercury too.

A few years later at the age of about 11, I had a Chemistry Set and in that set there was a sheet of Asbestos about 6" square for resting hot test tubes etc. on.

At the ages between 12 and 18, I was involved in Model Engineering making working model steam engines and guess what I used to make gaskets for them? Yep, Asbestos again.

So now here I am at the wrong side of 60, but the right side of 70 and my chest, lungs and heart are all fine. I have had no ill effects brought on from playing with mercury either. I just wish I didn't have so much trouble with my back, hips and knees - problems that are the result of a lifetime of manual work and NOTHING to do with Asbestos or Mercury !!

But it only takes one single fibre to kill you.
You're being totally irresponsible on this subject.
When you get your pacemaker fitted, I for one, will have no sympathy for you when TB takes it and sells it for scrap.

Reply to Advice neeeded - I think I've drilled asbestos soffit !! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net