Discuss Advice neeeded - I think I've drilled asbestos soffit !! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

My old fella was an electrician/chargehand/foreman in asbestos production plants for about 20 years 'till he was about forty. He's just finished a weeks work on a big quote and I still have trouble getting him to stop going on emergency call outs and put his tools away. He set up on his own over 40 years ago.

Its all government and H&S hipe just like mad cows desease....like asbestos, i been eating beef for years and it never effect moo...sorry me...!

I ate beef on the bone once when Blair said there was a 1 in a Trillion Billion chance that I might contract Mad Cow Disease.
Or is all this just an illusion?

if your over about 25 you have a very high chance of being exposed to asbestos as they used to use it for brake and clutch linings on cars, buses and lorries, as they wore away the dust flew where ever the wind blew it.
i remember mechanics cleaning dust out of brake drums and clutches with airlines with no breathing protection at all and workshop doors open to clear the dust and plumbers (including my old man) cutting sheets of white asbestos with hand saws to fit behind aga's and rayburn's -no one cared in them days

If you listen to the yanks MDF is every bit as bad as asbestos. It's still used here. I know I have cut/drilled it on many many occasions. I too have unwittingly drilled asbestos. While I don't enjoy it and don't panic either.

TD, your lungs must be wrecked by now from all those late night sorties, stripping them derelict industrial sites of their valuables.

If you're referring to Tidy Boiler, I can confirm there's absolutely nothing wrong with her lungs - In fact I can honestly say she has the most spectacular pair of lungs it's ever been my pleasure to encounter. :)

Just a thought, but, is there a sort of cut off date where you could say with reasonable confidence the the soffits are asbestos or not?

From someone else who has recently had a face full of the crap.

Oh, and as advised in a previous post, I laid off the tabs for 2 days to cancel it out!!

Spadders has not replied!!!! Where are you Spadders.....!! An ominous silence descends......

Spadders has not replied!!!! Where are you Spadders.....!! An ominous silence descends......

Hi guys n gals,

I'm pleased to say I'm still alive & kicking,
After sleeping on it and reading all of the comments, (some of which are brilliant btw) I'm feeling a bit daft now for getting so carried away.
I think the mistake I made was listening to my mate who's "been on a course", and then reading all of the "official" HSE info online.
I don't smoke, so can't lay off the tabs for 2 days to cancel it out, so I'll have to deprive myself of something equally enjoyable, maybe a few bacon sarnies.

Thanks again for all of your replies

Reply to Advice neeeded - I think I've drilled asbestos soffit !! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net