Discuss Advise on additional CU for hot tub in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

CCob

Hi,

I am currently getting quotes together from various sparks that are Part P compliant for wiring up a new outdoor CU to power a 43A tub.

For those that are in the know what installation method would be preferred/advised?

a. New SWA cable run from meter around the house to new CU? What size cable 16mm or 25mm?

or

b. Take feed from existing CU MCB to feed secondary CU unit

or

c. Any other options.

Thanks

Why do you think this hot tub requires a CU for itself at the load end ?
Yes SWA cable would usually be the most appropriate method.
The cable size would depend on the load requirements of the hot tub, subsequent cable calculations, and the manufacturer's installation recommendations. 16mm sounds way to big though for a load of 43A.

Why do you think this hot tub requires a CU for itself at the load end ?
Yes SWA cable would usually be the most appropriate method.
The cable size would depend on the load requirements of the hot tub, subsequent cable calculations, and the manufacturer's installation recommendations. 16mm sounds way to big though for a load of 43A.

Main reason is for future proofing, eventually I'll have some garden lighting that I will want to run too, so having a separate CU would prevent the main CU RCB's from tripping if a ground fault occurs. I was thinking 16mm or higher only because it was the feed to the CU, If I can get away with less then excellent.

nah, it's fitting unnecessary CUs to boost holiday funds.

Main reason is for future proofing, eventually I'll have some garden lighting that I will want to run too, so having a separate CU would prevent the main CU RCB's from tripping if a ground fault occurs. I was thinking 16mm or higher only because it was the feed to the CU, If I can get away with less then excellent.

As Risteard says, take advice from the electricians quoting for the work. If you don't trust their opinion then don't deal with them.
Cable calculations will have to be carried out with your prospective full demand for the circuit before any cable sizes can be arrived at, as well as your existing installation assessed for suitability of this proposed expansion.

As Risteard says, take advice from the electricians quoting for the work. If you don't trust their opinion then don't deal with them.
Cable calculations will have to be carried out with your prospective full demand for the circuit before any cable sizes can be arrived at, as well as your existing installation assessed for suitability of this proposed expansion.

Quite difficult to trust an opinion if you don't know whether your sparky is trying to "boost holiday funds" or cutting corners by spurring of an existing MCB. But hey ho, thanks for your opinions either way. Appreciate your time.

Reply to Advise on additional CU for hot tub in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net