Discuss Air con and refrigeration college course (6187-01) in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

DeanoRN

-
Trainee
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was looking at college courses in my area as i've been thinking about a change of career and came across the Diploma in installing, testing and maintaining air conditioning Level 2 and was wondering is this college course is gonna put me on the right track?

http://www.sccb.ac.uk/courses/const...-maintaining-air-conditioning-level-2-6187-01
there is the link in case you fancy having a look, if i complete this course could i potentially get into entry level employment, i am not worried about how much i will earn in the short term i would rather get fully qualified while working in the trade building up experience as well.

I'm currently 32 and was worried i might be about to old to start with a new career i have never done before i have no experience but i'm willing to put the hours in the learn and buy whatever materials are needed, also it says on the website you can progress to a higher level course but the only other courses i can see at level 3 are electrical courses, what would be the logical progression route in education wise?
and would it be feasible to get entry level employment with that level 2 diploma.

Anyone with some knowledge would be great

regards

Deano

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,

I was looking at college courses in my area as i've been thinking about a change of career and came across the Diploma in installing, testing and maintaining air conditioning Level 2 and was wondering is this college course is gonna put me on the right track?

Diploma in Installing, Testing and Maintaining Air Conditioning Level 2 (6187-01)
there is the link in case you fancy having a look, if i complete this course could i potentially get into entry level employment, i am not worried about how much i will earn in the short term i would rather get fully qualified while working in the trade building up experience as well.

I'm currently 32 and was worried i might be about to old to start with a new career i have never done before i have no experience but i'm willing to put the hours in the learn and buy whatever materials are needed, also it says on the website you can progress to a higher level course but the only other courses i can see at level 3 are electrical courses, what would be the logical progression route in education wise?
and would it be feasible to get entry level employment with that level 2 diploma.

Anyone with some knowledge would be great

regards

Deano

I did all my A/C and Refrig at Airedale in Leeds, not sure if its recognisable but it was very intense and compact, it went from Basic theory to installing and commissioning, if I recall correctly the Tutors name was Mike Howard, give Airedale a call I'm sure they would be able to put you in touch with Mike if he is still doing training, he was very good at his job, and I feel sure he will be able to help

Last edited:
I did all my A/C and Refrig at Airedale in Leeds, not sure if its recognisable but it was very intense and compact, it went from Basic theory to installing and commissioning, if I recall correctly the Tutors name was Mike Howard, give Airedale a call I'm sure they would be able to put you in touch with Mike if he is still doing training, he was very good at his job, and I feel sure he will be able to help

thanks for the reply pete, i've just been looking on their website, the courses seem very short days in facts, surely that is not enough time to get passed off even on basic A/C training certificates?

what course did you do with them? did you manage to find employment, i eventually would like to do my NVQ's on the job.

cheers

deano

thanks for the reply pete, i've just been looking on their website, the courses seem very short days in facts, surely that is not enough time to get passed off even on basic A/C training certificates?

what course did you do with them? did you manage to find employment, i eventually would like to do my NVQ's on the job.

cheers

deano

I was already in employment, there were several Sparkies who were sent on these courses, solely because the department I worked for didn't have a clue about how difficult a profession it was.

I did basic HVAC, basic refrigeration, installation, safe gas handling and commissioning systems most consisted of a two week intensive course, a bit like the Electrical courses, and I have to say I never once considered myself an expert, far from it, it's a profession all on it's own, I only did the courses because my department paid for me. although saying that the courses run by Mike Howard were excellent and he was a very good tutor.

He did say though it was a good stepping stone to a recognised qualification, so give them a call nothing ventured nothing gained. I was never afraid to have a bash at A/C work. But a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. go on give it a go.

ok cheers pete, i will give them a call today to get some advice.

only difference is i'm not employed in that sector nor do i have any experience, so basicly i would be starting at the bottom working my way up, i think those courses might be tailored to people with experience under their belt because of the intensity of the courses.

do you know if your company would employ people with that qualification from that college course or would i have to gain additional qualifications ?

cheers

Deano

ok cheers pete, i will give them a call today to get some advice.

only difference is i'm not employed in that sector nor do i have any experience, so basicly i would be starting at the bottom working my way up, i think those courses might be tailored to people with experience under their belt because of the intensity of the courses.

do you know if your company would employ people with that qualification from that college course or would i have to gain additional qualifications ?

cheers

Deano

I didn't know anything about A/C Refrigeration

Reply to Air con and refrigeration college course (6187-01) in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net