Discuss Any other ideas? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

tomspark93

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Just done an EICR today in a small warehouse, should get the remedial work as i know the customer. Anyway, does anyone have any other ideas on how to sort this mess out? There was a conduit through box there until it got smashed to bits at some point. Conductors aren't damaged. It doesn't help that there's a ring final circuit and a lighting circuit all in the same 20mm conduit. I could either pull it all back and put a new box on or cut through them insert new box and joint them all. image.jpg Any thought? Tom

The 'correct' thing to do would be to pull it all back and replace it; given the previous box was smashed somehow that gives an indication that it could happen again, so maybe better to replace it with steel, and/or re-route it somewhere it is less susceptible to damage.

Alternative you could get some kind of split coupler to restore the mechanical protection - a 2 part coupler which clips around what's already there, although that doesn't address the reason the last box got broken.

Or encapsulate the whole lot in trunking.

Agree with Adam. Use a bit of trunking.

The next headache is earthing it! (exposed part and all that?) Got the same problem myself on a job atm. Exposed and not easy to make it look good.

Thanks, think I'll just pull them back and do it properly. Just seems like a lot of work for not much gain. It's at the top of some stairs and shouldn't really be prone to damage. The guy said it was done when they moved in.

Thanks, think I'll just pull them back and do it properly. Just seems like a lot of work for not much gain. It's at the top of some stairs and shouldn't really be prone to damage. The guy said it was done when they moved in.

Assuming its plastic conduit and the remaining bitsof the box aren't glued on so could be pulled off and cut with tin snips?

if it's not going to be possible to pull the circuits back you could get a conduit thru box and cut a slit down the back of it wide enough to slide the cables into the box one at a time or pry the gap open to get each cable in. The box could then be glued back together or fixed to the wall with the conduits glued into place.

wether or not you'd be happy with that is another matter.

Adams idea is best, get some plastic Trunking with the sticky tape backing. Large enough to cover the conduit aswell. Added protection, but still consider all factors though for enclosed cables as per BS7671 thermal effects on enclosed cables.

Using Flanders suggestion this is what I came up with in the end. I just drilled out each end with a hole saw and cut a slot with a hack saw so that the conduit finished flush with the adaptable box lid.
image.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    402.4 KB · Views: 62
  • image.jpg
    375.9 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
nah. i can see the screw heads, but who's to say they've got screws attached.

Tidy bit of work that mate.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Tapatalk

Did you consider reinstating the earth continuity of the conduit or even testing it. Are there any IP rating issues? The customer will normally always go cheap but it's your name on the resulting repair.

Don't think this method would have been for me.

My preferred method would have been.

1 Pull out reinstate through box add a runner on the tube aid reassembly.
2 Install metallic box with suitable connectors.

Using Flanders suggestion this is what I came up with in the end. I just drilled out each end with a hole saw and cut a slot with a hack saw so that the conduit finished flush with the adaptable box lid.
View attachment 32734View attachment 32735
That at best is a temporary repair until you can undertake the task in a professional manner.

Quite right

How would you report this if it you found it on during an EICR???.

I would suggest that it would be on here as a look what I found. What should I code it.

Did you consider reinstating the earth continuity of the conduit or even testing it. Are there any IP rating issues? The customer will normally always go cheap but it's your name on the resulting repair.

Don't think this method would have been for me.

My preferred method would have been.

1 Pull out reinstate through box add a runner on the tube aid reassembly.
2 Install metallic box with suitable connectors.

Sorry I have only just read this.

That conduit disappears under a mezzanine floor and contains a ring final circuit and part of a lighting circuit. It would have been a nightmare to pull those conductors out and get them back through. A route the customer didn't want to go down.

I didn't consider earth continuity of the conduit mainly because it's pvc...It also meets the ip rating of ip 2x as they are side entry.

Granted it's not perfect but, I'm struggling To see what other options there were in this situation. That being said I'm more than open to another solution under that circumstance.

think you've done a good job there. an alternative would have been to cut and joint in a new conduit box, but that could create more problems.

Reply to Any other ideas? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net