Discuss Apprentice needs help three plate wiring in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Wiring using 3 plate makes life difficult at the fitting unless it is a ceiling rose, far easier if there is only 1 cable to terminate, I wire every light back indivdually to either a switch or jb, chopping a deep box in only takes a few extra minutes

So where do you put the JB's you install?

A long time ago we fired in some T&E for a kitchen ring turned it on, without any tests as we thought our work was beyond reproach, and the RCD tripped out.
Eventually got the tester out of the van and checked the IR of each leg and found that the cable neutral had migrated through the insulation and was in contact with the cpc. Bloody annoying !
I know it has only happened to me once in 30 years. How many of you check the cable before chopping it up into pieces ?
A very good friend of mine had a similar problem, took a lot of head scratching to work it out, turned the colour changed conductor mid drum, so blue became brown and vice versa, very dangerous really, luckily he wired it in the ring not a radial so came to light quickly when testing, although still took while to find

I would say its a switch wire at fault, either at the rose/fitting or switch,but as said if you done your dead testing prior , should have picked it up.

Reply to Apprentice needs help three plate wiring in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I hope someone can help with this as I'm stumped. My landing hallway ceiling (2016-build house) has two rose pendants which I've attempted to...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I really hope someone will be able to help. So last night I tried to change 2 ceiling rose / pendant lights at my mother in laws...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, hope all are well. I'm changing a ceiling rose and have lost the diagram showing where everything was connected (to the old light)...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, When checking my consumer unit voltages with the full board off, I stumbled across something head scratching. Measuring the feed...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I’ve purchased a Ring Spotlight camera and decided to remove the old spotlight that’s currently installed on the house we recently...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock