Discuss Asbestos lightswitch suspicion? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am a brand new trainee and I am doing some re-wiring and changing out some lightswithces and some sockets.

The homeowner asked me to change out this switch but it has a crumbling powdery type box which I can't tell if its just heavily degraded plastic or potentially an ACM lightswitch container (which I have never heard of before) risk.

I included some photos, the box at the back looks like straight plastic but the front half looks very strange to be plastic (unless it's how heavy degradation looks).

COuld anyone chime in if this is a likely scenario or not.

Thank you very much.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 2.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 3.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 37
No asbestos.

It is just plastic. Whether it’s degraded through sunlight UV or chemical reaction.
Can you expand a bit Little spark?
Do you know this model switch or just going by the physical picture you see?
The crumbly material doesn't look very plasticky.
I have absolutely no idea by the way.

Asbestos is fibrous, as L-S that's degraded plastic, that's possibly been chewed by a Budgie.
Although asbestos was formed into things like toilet seats and toilet cisterns, I doubt very much it could have been successfully formed thin enough to be part of a light switch.

Possibly 90’s, or even 80’s looking at it.

Was a pretty solid plastic, not very malleable.
Not switches, but I’ve seen plenty weatherproof sockets mounted on same box with a clear plastic lid that springs back.

Can you expand a bit Little spark?
Do you know this model switch or just going by the physical picture you see?
The crumbly material doesn't look very plasticky.
I have absolutely no idea by the way.

There a few makes/models of plastic high IP rated accessories which crumble like this after a few years of exposure to sunlight.

There are also some which have a clear soft plastic bubble in front of the switch which you operate the switch through, this is also degrades in sunlight and after a few years becomes a nice little water trap to make sure the switch gets thoroughly wet inside.

To compound the issue there are some plastics, such as some forms of nylon, which aren't entirely water resistant and will gradually absorb water until they break down in a similar manner.

Reply to Asbestos lightswitch suspicion? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net