Search the forum,

Discuss At Uni but want to become Electrician? Who through? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

aadilp1

Hi,
Im in a bit of a situation. Im currently on my Second year at Huddersfield University studying Accountancy & Finance however I dont see myself stuck in an office job with Accounts after ive graduated. Over the Christmas holidays, ive been thinking and really want to go into becoming an Electrician. I have a few options available however I dont want to go through the route of going through college. I met up with an Advisor from OLCI who was very helpful and made it all so promising however its £6000. Through parents funding and some money from me, I could manage to pay it however I dont know whether to do it through them. Im from Dewsbury, West Yorkshire so OLCI are quite local to me with them being in Leeds. Ive also looked at KITS in Brighouse but thats an apprenticeship stretching 2 years+ and also looked at MET-UK who say it takes 10 weeks for it to complete but thats only £3000 but the training centre being 2 hour drive away from me. I want you guys to help me with a local, good centre for me to train in and also flexible so its not a full time 2 year course. im thinking of completing it in around 12-18 months and price being reasonable. :icon11: Thanks in advance!

The apprenticeship route is the best if you can get it, probably next followed by college. The short courses aren't worth the money or time and not thought of very well. Without an nvq and hands on experience you'll struggle to find people to take you on unless you know a mate of a mate who's looking for a spare pair of hands etc... I'm a college at the mo (just started level 2) and been told by an owner of an electrical contractor company that basically even when I'm done at college it'd be unlikely anyone will be interested in taking me on as I have no real world experience. So now I feel I've just wasted nearly £1700 of my family's money who were trying to help me better myself and get out of my dead end minimum wage job. The joys.

aah i feel for you, il be honest i do know a brothers close mate who's an electrician who would take me on 1-2 days a week if i asked him, would that be enough for 3-6 months to do to get me my qualifications or is more hands on experience needed?
(im sounding really stupid here trying to complete the course as quick as possible but its not that, i just dont want to go college and do it through an independent trainer)

The theory side is huge, a couple of the lads on my course are apprentices, and they have the same work as us. Which is a year for level 2 c&g 2365, and 2 years for level 3. As well as that they've got the nvq to complete as well which will take a lot of time and effort. In short, 3-6 months is not enough time, and you'll never learn it all because there is so much diversity (which is what drew me to it in the first place). Experienced guys will be along with more answers soon, but as a newbie myself that's what I've prepared myself for.

yes youre right Martyc, i should do it through a college where it would take me 2/3 years which means i can thoroughly learn it properly! however is it possible to gain the qualifications in under 6 months?
im in such a mess, i dont know whether to continue with my degree or become an electrician

Ure not gonna like this buddy but the only way to get respect in the trade these days is if you go through college on either an apprentice route (which sounds ideal if you've got someone willing to take you on 2 days a week) or an adult learner route - either full time or night courses.

Whats the problem with going back to college? Isit because you feel your too old? ....if this is the case, no matter how old are you, im sure they'll be someone on the course near your age if not older.

im only 20 years old so age isnt the matter, i just thought i could juggle it with university, id take a gap year out and do my exams and gain the qualification within the year

yes youre right Martyc, i should do it through a college where it would take me 2/3 years which means i can thoroughly learn it properly! however is it possible to gain the qualifications in under 6 months?
im in such a mess, i dont know whether to continue with my degree or become an electrician

Technically yes - as they are some stupid providers out their, who think its necessary to undermine the trade.

But, it isn't possible - no matter how many people tell you it is. Becoming an electrician takes years of dedication - don't get me wrong its a great career, just hard work is needed. If you've got the option of someone taking you on (which most haven't) i'd advise you to enroll ureself onto the 2357 course with your local college and start the road to an excellent career.

Your choice though, only you know where your degree is heading.

im only 20 years old so age isnt the matter, i just thought i could juggle it with university, id take a gap year out and do my exams and gain the qualification within the year

How longs left with your degree? I think goverment will fund apprenterships up untill the age of 24 providing you've got an employer, i could be wrong with this though so don't quote me...someone else may help you out.

If you're mate is still willing to take you on in a few years, then why not complete your degree and start the electrical apprentership abit later on?

yeah now thats what im thinking, im in my second year and undertaking a three year course so only one more year left. im going to complete my degree then consider my options as I should hopefully be totally free

in the mean time try and go to work with you brothers mate for a bit. The quicker you get some tools in your hand in a real life situation the easier you will find the college as it will actually mean something to you.

Also you might well decide a desk in a office is a better option.

IMO there is no short cut, as previous posts say it takes a lot of dedication. I did an apprenticeship which i completed in 2005 and i'm still learning. I can't imagine anyone learning the lot in a year. i would say it was impossible. You can have all the NVQs etc but without experience its worth nothing.

apprenticship route is the best way, other 2 are awaste of time. wit apprenticeship route u get the training, and you can enter better areas of the trade,

Reply to At Uni but want to become Electrician? Who through? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net