Discuss Barbeque area supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Ross1

-
Reaction score
Hi all,

I need to supply an outdoor barbeque area with sockets and lights. (10m away from house)

Running a distribution circuit from the cu in house will be extremly difficult due to location.

The system is Tncs. House is 10 year old.

Im thinking of spuring off a socket on the downstairs ring main to supply a db at the barbeque area, not connecting the earth at the barbeque end but knock a rod in for the outdoor db.

Id like your thoughts please.

Thanks

Well subject to loading on the existing RFC you could possibly come off with a 4mm 3 core SWA to a small DB as a means of connecting the power and lighting, MCBs could be rated at 16 and 6 amps respectively. OP - why do you think you need to create a TT earthing arrangement for the barbeque area ?

Why bodge it with a spur? just do it properly and access the cu or split the tails at the head with a henley block. You will then get far more distribution capabilites and a half decent install. As for the earth rod i would suggest exporting the TNCS unless they are going for the American hot tub vibe.

Well subject to loading on the existing RFC you could possibly come off with a 4mm 3 core SWA to a small DB as a means of connecting the power and lighting, MCBs could be rated at 16 and 6 amps respectively. OP - why do you think you need to create a TT earthing arrangement for the barbeque area ?

Thats my intention Dave, the the tt system outdoors would be for the prevention off exporting the earth on a tncs.

Thats my intention Dave, the the tt system outdoors would be for the prevention off exporting the earth on a tncs.
CRAP. you'd only consider a TT if the outdoor installation was in a metal building or a caravan, maybe for reasons of bonding extraneous parts, ( excepting some agricultural situations, which do not apply here ).

If you worried about exporting/extending PME, whatever the terminology the masses what to use, goggle it. Lots of advice in pdf format. Are you in a scheme? What do they advise?

^^ bad idea. Not sure BS 7671 regs would agree with this.

FCU off RFC and bin the BBQ area CU is the way to go.
^^ bad idea. Not sure BS 7671 regs would agree with this.

FCU off RFC and bin the BBQ area CU is the way to go.

Im reluctant to go the fcu off rfc route as the loading might top this by a few amps on occasion.

How about opening the rfc up to incorporate the sockets outdoors and fcu the lighting from an outdoor socket.

Im reluctant to go the fcu off rfc route as the loading might top this by a few amps on occasion.

How about opening the rfc up to incorporate the sockets outdoors and fcu the lighting from an outdoor socket.

Not a good idea.... always best to have a DP switch between the house circuit and the outdoors circuit so when the RCD starts tripping, the client can switch off the outside bit!

Reply to Barbeque area supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net