Discuss Better?: Canadian surge bar with UK Plugs paired wit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, I hope you are all doing well.
I have original UK samsung, apple and Huawei plugs and would like to know which combination of plugging them into my Canadian outlets would be best in terms of Safety, Protection and Efficiency. Please suggest which option from below would be best?
1) Buying a UK surge power bar with multiple outlets and then buying a Canadian adaptor to plug it into my Canadian outlet? This would allow me to plug my UK Plugs directly into the UK Surge Power Bar and then to the Canadian Outlet via a Canadian Wall Adaptor for the UK Plug: Good or Bad?

2) Buying a Canadian Surge Power bar and then buying Canadian plug adaptors for each of my UK Plugs to be plugged into my Canadian Surge Power Bar? This would allow me to Plug my UK Plugs into the Canadian Surge Power Bar via Canadian Adaptors.

3) Purchasing Canadian Wall Adaptors (with Surge protection..ie., they have fuses to prevent overloads) for my UK plugs that I would plug directly into my Canadian Wall outlet? This would only allow me to plug a limited amount into an outlet, however is this better?
Please suggest which Brand of Canadian and or UK Surge Power Bars would be best.
Thank you all for your time and consideration. Take care and stay safe.
Muhammed

Canadian and UK surge protection products are different on account of the different voltages. The Canadian version will usually have a lower clamping voltage for use with 120V power, compared to units compatible with UK 230V power. Therefore, in theory, a Canadian power strip is a better choice from the surge protection aspect. In practice it won't make a huge difference as the chargers are all rated for 230V anyway if they are fitted with UK-style prongs.

Many plug adaptors are of poor design and manufacture and allow unintended contact with live parts etc. They are best avoided if possible, by fitting the chargers with Canadian prong sets so that they plug directly into the Canadian power strip. Chargeers do not take much current so the poor contact aspect of many adaptors is not so serious. But wall-wart type chargers are heavy and may not be secure in the adaptors.

So my preference would probably be to take a UK power strip, remove the UK plug and fit a good-quality Canadian plug to the cord. To avoid the wiring, a less good option would be to plug the strip into the wall using the best quality adaptor possible.

(with Surge protection..ie., they have fuses to prevent overloads)

Surge protection and fusing are quite different things for different purposes.

Canadian and UK surge protection products are different on account of the different voltages. The Canadian version will usually have a lower clamping voltage for use with 120V power, compared to units compatible with UK 230V power. Therefore, in theory, a Canadian power strip is a better choice from the surge protection aspect. In practice it won't make a huge difference as the chargers are all rated for 230V anyway if they are fitted with UK-style prongs.

Many plug adaptors are of poor design and manufacture and allow unintended contact with live parts etc. They are best avoided if possible, by fitting the chargers with Canadian prong sets so that they plug directly into the Canadian power strip. Chargeers do not take much current so the poor contact aspect of many adaptors is not so serious. But wall-wart type chargers are heavy and may not be secure in the adaptors.

So my preference would probably be to take a UK power strip, remove the UK plug and fit a good-quality Canadian plug to the cord. To avoid the wiring, a less good option would be to plug the strip into the wall using the best quality adaptor possible.

Surge protection and fusing are quite different things for different purposes.
Thanks

Hi, I hope you are all doing well.
I have original UK samsung, apple and Huawei plugs and would like to know which combination of plugging them into my Canadian outlets would be best in terms of Safety, Protection and Efficiency. Please suggest which option from below would be best?
1) Buying a UK surge power bar with multiple outlets and then buying a Canadian adaptor to plug it into my Canadian outlet? This would allow me to plug my UK Plugs directly into the UK Surge Power Bar and then to the Canadian Outlet via a Canadian Wall Adaptor for the UK Plug: Good or Bad?

2) Buying a Canadian Surge Power bar and then buying Canadian plug adaptors for each of my UK Plugs to be plugged into my Canadian Surge Power Bar? This would allow me to Plug my UK Plugs into the Canadian Surge Power Bar via Canadian Adaptors.

3) Purchasing Canadian Wall Adaptors (with Surge protection..ie., they have fuses to prevent overloads) for my UK plugs that I would plug directly into my Canadian Wall outlet? This would only allow me to plug a limited amount into an outlet, however is this better?
Please suggest which Brand of Canadian and or UK Surge Power Bars would be best.
Thank you all for your time and consideration. Take care and stay safe.
Muhammed
I’m not much help when it comes to the way the UK rules but with their wires with one being the neutral which should be blue and the brown wire is 240vac. I’m not sure what you could purchase to go from 120vac to 240vac. Please don’t start cutting wires

Reply to Better?: Canadian surge bar with UK Plugs paired wit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net