Discuss Big cable run supply issue in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I’m an industrial electrician, so when it comes to DB regs and such my experience on them is a little limited.

I need 2 x 16A 3 phase supply and 4 x 230v 3 pin sockets which is intend to do as a ring however, the nearest supply is approx 120m away! Running this through a cable calculator I’m being advised to run 16mm cable in.

I’m wondering if I’m allowed to put a consumer unit in about half way, and have each circuit ran from there?

This would be fed from a 100A supply DB. About 80A occupied but I’m unsure on being allowed a consumer unit from a db? Any additional info on how to tackle this would be appreciated like domestic regs an industrial lad wouldn’t often come across.

In terms of meeting end-end voltage drop I doubt it will help you save much copper unless the areas to be served are physically close to that half-way point.

I'm guessing "4 x 230v 3 pin sockets which is intend to do as a ring" implies 13A sockets, but what expected load?

Ideally you want to try and balance loads over the 3 phases where practical, but obviously 3P scokets are pretty much balanced by design. However a quick check shows not a lot of difference in 120m & 64A load or something closer to ~43A in loads sort of balanced out.

Reply to Big cable run supply issue in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Some advise or views would be appreciated. My supply is 100 amp single phase. I purchased my property 3 years ago or so, the owner prior to the...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am at odds on whether RCD protection is required on an SWA of 14 metres, clipped direct under flooring direct from CU to an exterior...
Replies
Views
Hello All, I have just found out that a family member who is having some Building work done has been advised to insulate above the Kitchen...
Replies
Views
Im just curious as to peoples thoughts on the following install I seen on a video from an Electrical firm today and they did the following: Ran...
Replies
Views
Good morning all, long time reader first time post so looking for some help I’m qualified as an electrician but haven’t worked as a sparky for...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock