Discuss Block connector melting in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Some measurements of current flowing under different working conditions would be useful to gauge the current going through the connector that has melted.

but in general if it is getting too hot then it is either overloaded or a poor connection.

After the first connector failed were the conductors stripped back to clean copper?
Hello. 6 wires were cut - 3 in and 3 out. New 6.3mm male/female and block connector used. Internet says this era of manufacture had the same fault on a number of models within the range and all blame the rectifier. That's why I fitted a new/genuine one. But this is before the rectifier, so I think your fellow respondent James (poor connection) is on the right track.
It has been suggested to tin the wires first, but I found the crimping tool doesn't like that. The crimps can't penetrate/bite into the wire.

Some measurements of current flowing under different working conditions would be useful to gauge the current going through the connector that has melted.

but in general if it is getting too hot then it is either overloaded or a poor connection.
Hello James. I plan to do the "factory" test but can't at the moment because the wires are now too short due to being cut twice! LOL
It's not just where the block connector was. The wire insulation was partially melted 100-150mm before the connector.
I will buy new wire once I'm allowed out of home. Awaiting Covid test result.

Hello James. As the wires were too short I bought what I thought was 4mm ( I don't know what gauge that is equivalent to).
When I strip the plastic the wires measure about 1.8mm. The NARVA label reads Size: 4mm (1.85mm2) Amps: 15 amp.
Is that heavy enough?

Reply to Block connector melting in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net