Search the forum,

Discuss Bonding dilemma in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

BTW, the above is only really applicable to internal faults. Up until the 16[SUP]th[/SUP] (I think) it was a requirement to fit a jumper across the meter. That’s going back to pre alkathene gas supplies and there was a distinct possibility of a PD across the meter due the pipe unions.

BTW, the above is only really applicable to internal faults. Up until the 16[SUP]th[/SUP] (I think) it was a requirement to fit a jumper across the meter. That’s going back to pre alkathene gas supplies and there was a distinct possibility of a PD across the meter due the pipe unions.

Yes, the permanent link between the incoming and outgoing pipes to the meter has been done away with and the bond is now fitted to the outlet side of the meter only BUT when the meter is removed we are "supposed" to fit a temporary bond between the incoming & outgoing pipes like this >>>
19585_300_225.jpg

so the question that I can't get my head around is WHY did we have to get rid of the permanent link in the first place??

Yes, the permanent link between the incoming and outgoing pipes to the meter has been done away with and the bond is now fitted to the outlet side of the meter only BUT when the meter is removed we are "supposed" to fit a temporary bond between the incoming & outgoing pipes like this >>>
19585_300_225.jpg

so the question that I can't get my head around is WHY did we have to get rid of the permanent link in the first place??

Possibly because the gas supply is not recognised as a route to earth. The only reason we bond to the meter at all is for equal potential within the building. In the good old days I believe you could use the gas pipe as the main earth route.

Possibly because the gas supply is not recognised as a route to earth. The only reason we bond to the meter at all is for equal potential within the building. In the good old days I believe you could use the gas pipe as the main earth route.

The earliest reference I have is from the 1930s and at that time it was not permitted to use a gas service as an earth connection. It was required that a towns metal water service be used as an earth connection though.

Yes I understand it was often the route to earth as was the water pipe as well.

What I don't understand is we used to link the inlet and the outlet pipes together with a bit of green wire but now we don't because we're told the meter provides the continuity so if we have to remove a meter we are required to temporarily link them with this temporary bond before doing so and leave it in place until after the meter is re-instated.

So WHY did we stop linking the inlet & outlet in the first place?? :thinking::confused5:

Yes I understand it was often the route to earth as was the water pipe as well.

What I don't understand is we used to link the inlet and the outlet pipes together with a bit of green wire but now we don't because we're told the meter provides the continuity so if we have to remove a meter we are required to temporarily link them with this temporary bond before doing so and leave it in place until after the meter is re-instated.

So WHY did we stop linking the inlet & outlet in the first place?? :thinking::confused5:

yeah. I get your point. It wouldn't be much hardship to do.

There is probably a very intelligent reason why. It just needs a very intelligent member to let us know.:conehead: Any out there?

yeah. I get your point. It wouldn't be much hardship to do.

There is probably a very intelligent reason why. It just needs a very intelligent member to let us know.:conehead: Any out there?

The debate on that could easily run to 200 pages!! ;)

But getting back to the gas thing, it's drummed into the gas blokes to ALWAYS fit that temporary bond before removing the meter and only take it off once the meter is refitted.

When it's assessment time, the assessor will want to see that we have that bond in our toolbox and a spare manometer hose - among other things.

The debate on that could easily run to 200 pages!! ;)

But getting back to the gas thing, it's drummed into the gas blokes to ALWAYS fit that temporary bond before removing the meter and only take it off once the meter is refitted.

When it's assessment time, the assessor will want to see that we have that bond in our toolbox and a spare manometer hose - among other things.
Yes I've been thru the gas safe course and on my pre assessment assesment I forgot the bonding clamps. Instant fail:nonod: so I understand the bond is important whilst removing meter.

Yes I've been thru the gas safe course and on my pre assessment assesment I forgot the bonding clamps. Instant fail:nonod: so I understand the bond is important whilst removing meter.

Oh dear!!

You won't to that again!

I was pulled for not having a spare manometer hose so I cut the 1 metre long one I had in half & all was good. :)

Hey this is an interesting debate/thread :0

Could anyone tell me why we don't bond metal kitchen sinks no more, when the Kitchen has the most electrical appliances in the house and is always inevitably near water?

I asked my lecturer years ago, and he said it was dropped because a line fault at the C/B could introduce a 240v potential at sink- although never could quite get my head round it!

I have had lots of houses with no Earth in Lighting circuit and they want me to fit Stainless class 1 Fittings, they simply don't want to know about the earth problem!

Also if Bonding from (normally tap) needs to be enlarged, if its round front/back of house therefore cable itself is dollar , let lone potential disruption of decorating its like they think you are deceiving them (been here 1-100yrs etc and never had a problem just do it, no worries they say!).

I simply wont do it! my altitude is if, they electrocuted themselves if a fault occurred they would sue the life out of me!

If I got took to court , is it not correct, that the prosecution would use the Current IEE regs to prove my incompetence in the fact that I, even knowing about it myself (competent person) , chose to ignore it?

Saying that they didn't want pay for uprated bonding/new earthing , (although i told them) and the fact that I have changed a old fuse board to a RCD equipped one would be my only form of defence, and I for one would not like to rely on that!

Hey this is an interesting debate/thread :0

Could anyone tell me why we don't bond metal kitchen sinks no more, when the Kitchen has the most electrical appliances in the house and is always inevitably near water?

I asked my lecturer years ago, and he said it was dropped because a line fault at the C/B could introduce a 240v potential at sink- although never could quite get my head round it!

I have had lots of houses with no Earth in Lighting circuit and they want me to fit Stainless class 1 Fittings, they simply don't want to know about the earth problem!

Also if Bonding from (normally tap) needs to be enlarged, if its round front/back of house therefore cable itself is dollar , let lone potential disruption of decorating its like they think you are deceiving them (been here 1-100yrs etc and never had a problem just do it, no worries they say!).

I simply wont do it! my altitude is if, they electrocuted themselves if a fault occurred they would sue the life out of me!

If I got took to court , is it not correct, that the prosecution would use the Current IEE regs to prove my incompetence in the fact that I, even knowing about it myself (competent person) , chose to ignore it?

Saying that they didn't want pay for uprated bonding/new earthing , (although i told them) and the fact that I have changed a old fuse board to a RCD equipped one would be my only form of defence, and I for one would not like to rely on that!
You really should have done the bonding before the CU replacement. Ok maybe you didn't know it wasn't there before the you started the change as far as I am concerned its a mistake you have made therefore you need to put it right at your expence if customer refuses to pay.

I have learnt from my mistakes in the past by not doing a thorough enough pre works check and been in exactly this position. I explained to customer who point blank refused to pay any extra, so I did it anyway at no extra expence. The customer then realising I wasn't trying it on actually offered to pay.
i asked for material costs only as it was my mistake I hadn't spotted the problem prior to work. I have since been back to that customers house and done further works.

everone happy and regs fulfilled :smile5:

Sorry Jonny 705, I've just re read your thread and realise you weren't quoting yourself. You were in fact giving unacceptable scenarios. Spot on totally agree.

Will endevour our to read posts properly from now on.:dunce2:

19585_300_225.jpg

When jointing UG cables even though it isolated and earthed at each end a bonding jumper must be used on the armours and lead. The old cables weren’t too bad as the hessian outer serving allowed tray currents to leak away. The modern PVC sheathed cables must have the jumper fitted before cutting in to the cables. There’s a distinct possibility of circulating currents which can reach dangerous amounts.

Just going back to using the steel gas pipe as earth:
The gas board re-supplied our road using alkathene and left the old pipe in situe. So while I’m digging a new drain manhole I found it, going straight though where I was building the dammed manhole. A phone call to NWGas to find out if it’s still live, they couldn’t find the records, their document store had burnt down. Phoned them back a bit later to tell them they could mark it as dead, I’d put the saw through it.

Then I had a wavy brain, it wasn’t far from one of the earth rods. Clean it up and weld a stud to it and tie it in to the earth nest. Can anyone can beat an 800’ long electrode for a house?

Reply to Bonding dilemma in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock