Discuss Bonding dilemma in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

growler

-
Arms
Reaction score
So I turned up to a job today to install an electric heating system for a company I sub for and straight away found that there is no main bonding to either gas or water. They have recently had a new extension / kitchen and a new consumer unit ( no cert though). The gas bond is not an issue as the meter is located next to the consumer unit but the water bond is a fair distance away and the customer is adamant he doesn't want me to disrupt his house anymore than it is already. I can't just walk away either as their wet system Central heating has been removed and the couple are in there 70s.
what to do ?

Do your work. Note on cert that customer didn't want to pay for water bonding to be installed. Recommend its installed, submit invoice and walk away.

Do your work. Note on cert that customer didn't want to pay for water bonding to be installed. Recommend its installed, submit invoice and walk away.

Yep What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Without sounding stupid, are you suggesting it's acceptable to do electrical work with no holding in place? If I'm not mistaken earthing had to be up to standard or at least in place for any electrical work carried out?

Without sounding stupid, are you suggesting it's acceptable to do electrical work with no holding in place? If I'm not mistaken earthing had to be up to standard or at least in place for any electrical work carried out?

So the client has a shiny kitchen, a new CU , no cert, no bonding. This happens ALL the time.

If the customer is adament they won't have it, what do you do? Walk away and let the next cowboy do it or do the gas, note the cert and do the rest of the work properly. I know what I would do.

Oh I totally get the issue and understand etc, but where do you draw the line? I've got a cu to change and solid green 4mm bond on water at opposite end of house, all freshly decorated... I feel it would be wrong of me to just bite on the certificate didn't want to disturb decoration.

or... Customer doesn't realise issue of no bonding, so I write on cert customer didn't want distuption etc....

see what I mean.

Some of you lads amaze me. If this was a"Electrical Trainee" suggesting this he would get pilloried. It is supposed to be set in stone, as in the OSG and all other guidance, that no work should take place unless the correct earthing and bonding is in place. Now we can just adopt the "sod it let's crack on" approach then? And some of you would be the first to moan about the demise of the industry.......

If you find no bonding you are required to ensure it is installed (if required) for any of your install to comply, you cannot install an electric heating system and walk away leaving the install unsafe .... When bonding is required where it is missing then it is a safety issue and if they refuse to pay for it then walk away, it is up to who ever quoted for the work to ensure the existing earthing was safe ...... and should not be dropped on the customer as a last minute issue.

Really surprised at some of the replies here...

If it had undersized earthing say 6mm that didn't meet modern regs then a recommendation could be issued and you could proceed with your work; smaller earth bonding than 6mm and I would replace as part of the work to make the install safe, a lack of a crucial safety conductor when it is required would be a failure in your position as an Electrician hence I said walk and don't do the work

Last edited:
is there no water pipe you can find in a convenient position to bond to, making sure it's got continuity to the incoming water? at least you'd then have it bonded, albeit not within 600m of the stop tap.

Some of you lads amaze me. If this was a"Electrical Trainee" suggesting this he would get pilloried. It is supposed to be set in stone, as in the OSG and all other guidance, that no work should take place unless the correct earthing and bonding is in place. Now we can just adopt the "sod it let's crack on" approach then? And some of you would be the first to moan about the demise of the industry.......

You have a point but the muppets who come up with these rules do absolutely nothing to educate Joe Public so it leaves us all in a difficult position. Which means that on occassions, and I stress occassions, such actions are necessary.

Reply to Bonding dilemma in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net