Discuss bringing back dewalt impact driver and hammer drill from Canada! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

V

volers

Hi guys have a query in regards to bringing back dewalt drills from Canada! i have been given these two 20V max impact drill drivers and hammer drill (DCK285C2) which run on 120v and 60 hz. If i purchase a little adaptor which runs 120 from 230v would be great but i feel this might slow down the drill and stop from working soon enough although i may be wrong. Is there another way i can make it work at its full potential in the UK? really dont want to give it away because i could do with these babies! Maybe connect them to a 110v transformer although it wont be very practical for jobs where i have to bring a trannie as wwell as a drill due to weight in work in homes every time! If someone could shed some light on this subject i would be very grateful! thanks. V

I would have thought a 100W converter would be man enough to power the charger. Check out the link below for various size UK/US converter/transformers, one of which should suit your needs, it really depends whether you have higher power gear you would also like to be able to run from the converter/transformer.

UK to USA Step-Down Voltage Converter 230V - 110V (300W max.) from
UK to USA Step-Down Voltage Converter 230V - 110V (200W max.) from
UK to USA Step-Down Voltage Converter 230V - 110V (100W max.) from
UK to USA Step-Down Voltage Converter 230V - 110V (45W max.) from

Hey man thanks that looks good... was wondering will this not have any effect upon the motor of the two drills due to different frequencies in both countries? or does the transformer automatically convert this too? for nearly the same price i could get a trannie too tho right, which means i probably could use more appliances also. i need to really work out which is more practical!

Hey man thanks that looks good... was wondering will this not have any effect upon the motor of the two drills due to different frequencies in both countries? or does the transformer automatically convert this too? for nearly the same price i could get a trannie too tho right, which means i probably could use more appliances also. i need to really work out which is more practical!
the frequency only applies to the mains going to the charger and not the machines which i believe you said were battery so this will not affect the drills ,as stated just get small transformer and off you go no worries.

There's an outside chance that the charger will be dual voltage meaning no step-down transformer is required - you'll have to check the label once you have it in your hands.

If that's not the case and you wish to avoid a separate step-down transformer you can probably source a UK charger. The batteries should work fine in either the UK or NA charger.

Last edited:
hey guys back in the UK :( lol ive got both drills over and have checked the ratings on them... they only work on 120v and i have only 2 batteries which are 20v max slide on batteries. I cant see any being sold in the Uk and i think they are relatively new out on the otherside of the pond too. the charger works at 1.5A so ive worked out power rating to be 180W meaning id have to get the 200W step down transformer. I have also looked for a 230V battery charger for this 20V max battery but was unable to find anything equivalent here in the UK which is a shame which means i will have to carry transformer everywhere i go with these drills for the mo. WIsh i was still in Canada!!! beautiful country!!!

Hello,
Volers, have you got any more news on your drivers and batteries?
Im planning on buying a few from the states and would like to know if i can use the batteries with the UK spec dewalt XR range charger? Or can it only be used with the 20v max charger?
Are the batteries interchangeable? do they fit the UK Dewalt XR range drivers and drills?

Thank you in advance

Is this the answer;

So let’s talk about the DeWALT 20v MAX, how is it possible that DeWALT has a 20v and everyone else is 18v? Well the Dewalt is an 18V 5C pack, each cell has 3.6v that when fully charged peak out at 4V therefore making 20v. “We called it 20V to reduce confusion among users. They can see the difference in the battery’s performance,” says Chris Keffer, cordless-tool product manager for DeWalt. Personally I think it confuses people more, in the U.K. the same set is called 18V XR, so why is it 20V here? I think just like the 10.8 v scene changed to the 12V so will the 20V, pretty soon they will all be called 20v.

Is this the answer;

So let’s talk about the DeWALT 20v MAX, how is it possible that DeWALT has a 20v and everyone else is 18v? Well the Dewalt is an 18V 5C pack, each cell has 3.6v that when fully charged peak out at 4V therefore making 20v. “We called it 20V to reduce confusion among users. They can see the difference in the battery’s performance,” says Chris Keffer, cordless-tool product manager for DeWalt. Personally I think it confuses people more, in the U.K. the same set is called 18V XR, so why is it 20V here? I think just like the 10.8 v scene changed to the 12V so will the 20V, pretty soon they will all be called 20v.

Thanks, i read that review too while i was searching for an answer but I'm not convinced that they are fully compatible with each other.

if someone can confirm this it could save everyone a lot of money as they are so much cheaper in the states on ebay!

Has anyone charged a 20v max usa battery in a UK charger? Looking at pictures of the charger it looks like it has the same moulding as my uk ones but would like it confirmed if poss.

Thanks again.
Bo

Hiya mate... I been using my 20v max dewalt hammer drill for about 6 months now with a 240to120v step down transformer rated at 200w from maplins and this has been working fine as far as i can see. I have been using the canadian charger plugged into the transformer to charge the battery. However the only downfall to this is the extra weight that is carried around in order to accomodate for the transformer. Not sure its worth it but when u have a drill given to u for free the weight is a little price to pay in comparison. It would be great news if i could purchase a charger here to get the batteries fired up instead of this long winded process.

Reply to bringing back dewalt impact driver and hammer drill from Canada! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net