Discuss BS 1361 Time Current Characteristics in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Colonel Hathi

Hi Chaps
I am about to install an 8.5 Kw electric shower and a 2Kw water heater in a small flat that has a 60A 1361 main suppliers fuse.

The flat has 1*32A ring with 3 sockets, 1*20A radial with 5 sockets and 1*6A lighting circuit with 7 points.
If I allow 2amps for the lighting (at 66%), 40amps for the sockets (100% for the 32A ring and 8amps for the radial at 40%), then 37A for the 8.5Kw shower and 3.2amps for the 2Kw demand triggered water heater (at 40% of 8amps),
I get a total demand of 82 amps.

Am I reading the Time Current Chart correctly?
It seems to flatten out at about 3700 seconds at about 110 amps for a 60amp 1361.
Does this actually mean that it can carry 110 amps for 58 minutes?
Does it mean that it can carry my 82 amp estimate indefinitely?

Is my 82 amp estimate actually reasonable in the real world?
I cannot imagine that 8 sockets and 7 lightbulbs would really pull 42 amps?

Any advice is much appreciated.

CH

Last edited by a moderator:
Quit worrying, you'll not see anything like your calculated loadings. Those diversity formulas (excluding cooker formula) are so way over the top, it's almost a joke!! You'll be very lucky to see 40A for the whole flat!! And that's being generous too!! ...lol!!

awnsered your own question, turn everything on and clamp meter the live , youl see not up there... some say just take highest breaker and multibly the rest by 0.4

so.. 32+20+6+8 x 0.4 =26A add 37 for shower=63A your shower wont use full current unless youve skin like an elephant... i just know this as a rule of thumb from other posts on thbis forum

ther is no hard and fast rule for caculating diversity, and often your own knowledge of the installation in question will give more accurate figures than any calculation. Ive never seen a ring final in a house pull 32A. the 8.5kw shower will only pull 37A a) if your voltage is at exactly 230, and b) if it is working at full power. In reality,you wont have it anywhere near full power, and you wont have it on for long, so its very unlikely to cause an overcurrent device to pop anyway

Reply to BS 1361 Time Current Characteristics in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net