Discuss BTEC in Electronic Engineering - then train to become a Inspection and Testing Elecy? in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

slinger69

Hi guys,

I am new here and would really like some advice concerning a career change.

I have a BTEC in Electronic Engineering which I gained some 18 years ago. I have never put it too much use, however I always really enjoyed testing circuitry and problem solving and wanted to make a career of it. However I have no knowledge at all of rewiring and the more hands on side of Electrician work.

After investigating further I have come across the C&G 2394/2395 course which would go towards the beginning of training to be a Test and Inspection Electrician. I also realise that I would first need to sit my 17th Edition. I also realise that these 2 training courses would just be just the beginning of something and that I would still need to look at finding apprentice work to gain experience and knowledge.

As i said, I really enjoy working with circuitry and have a good head for maths and problem solving and feel that Test and Inspection Electrician/Engineer work would be a good route to take. However, I have no knowledge of hands on rewiring and dont really want to go down that route.

My question is, is it possible to make a career from just testing and inspecting? is that even possible??? Or does Testing and Inspecting have to involve hands on rewiring of properties.

Are there Test and Inspection Electrician/Engineers out there who just test, inspect and certify works rather than being hands-on?

Im sorry if this question is long winded and naive/silly however any advice at all would be appreciated.

Thanks

Re: BTEC in Electronic Engineering - then train to become a Inspection and Testing El

Any advice or experiences on how I can at last put my BTEC to good use and change my career would be appreciated.

Re: BTEC in Electronic Engineering - then train to become a Inspection and Testing El

u want to be a electrical inspector for an insurance company, all they do is test and inspect.(obviously)

I would say anyone would need a thorough knowledge of electrical installation work to have any chance of passing 2394/2395. I have both and they are not for beginners to the trade.

Agreed, you need a fair bit of hands on experience and knowledge of the science behind it to pass the 2394/2395 exams, I believe the pass rate on the 2394 is around 45%. I found the written exam difficult, the practical assessment is easy if you have plenty of testing experience.

wow this is original.

to the OP:

so tell me:

if you havn`t any installation experience...how do you expect to be able to carry out an inspection in a competant manner?

Last edited:

Thanks guys, I thought the most concerning the Test and Inspection courses.

Anyone have any suggestions of which path I could take with my BTEC in Engineering?
Possibly a decent course (other than a Degree) I could do to enhance the BTEC?

Cheers

You have a BTEC in Electronic Engineering, what do you do for a living now?

wow this is original.

to the OP:

so tell me:

if you havn`t any installation experience...how do you expect to be able to carry out an inspection in a competant manner?
Well, Build Control Inspectors do just that :)

u want to be a electrical inspector for an insurance company, all they do is test and inspect.(obviously)

Think you'll find in-house insurance electrical inspectors have a far greater background than just testing to BS 7671. They will be Engineers in their own right!!

by the way u seem to do a lot of laughing out loud, are u a happy chappy by nature?

@ OP, to want to become an inspection and testing engineer after you said yourself that you need experience speaks volumes. I served my apprenticeship wiring houses, shops, factories, quarries and building control panels etc. I have completed NVQ Level 3, 17th Edition, C&G 2391, C&G 2377-11 & 2377-12, C&G 2396 and I am currently studying a HNC in Electrical and Electronic engineering. I have 8 years experience inspection and testing plus my installation and maintenance experience. I have inspection and testing experience to BS7430 (earthing), BS6907 (Quarries), BS60204 (Machines) EAWR, I could go on. I have also submitted my application to become an Incorporated Engineer. I am currently registered as Site technician with JIB and a TMIET/Engineering Technician with The IET, all which is necessary with large insurance companies. There is much more to becoming an engineer surveyor than what you would assume. Although if this is the career you wish, no one is stopping you only yourself :)

Reply to BTEC in Electronic Engineering - then train to become a Inspection and Testing Elecy? in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net