Discuss Builder needing advice after damaging temporary supply to new build! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I believe the question is “did the incident on the building site cause the damage to the suppliers cable, or was the damage there before?”

Answering this will ascertain who needs to pay for the repair job and 2 tellys.

Maybe you need to get a professional in. Ie, a lawyer.
Unfortunately questions will be asked about safe working practices, and HSE will get involved.

Hopefully no one was seriously hurt, but left undiscovered, the fault could have been catestrophic.

Explain please
Screen Shot 2018-06-09 at 10.56.31.jpg

Ignore eddy currents, C/T-E site trannies etc, all irrelevant. If the overhead cable affected was the LV 400/230V supply to the property, I read the scenario as follows:
1. There was an existing defect on the DNO's CNE conductor or connection to it. Not your property, not your fault.
2. The builder caused an L-E or L-N fault on the service cable to your property. In the time it took for the OPD to clear it, the existing defective CNE / neutral connection or cable went open-circuit.
3. This left some consumers on a 3-phase distributor sharing a disconnected neutral, leading to incorrect L-N voltages. Some of them received more than 230V, blowing up their TVs.
4. Your site was also left with an open CNE resulting in tingles / shocks to anyone touching it outside the equipotential zone.
5. The DNO's team had to repair the distributor first, as this was preventing them supplying other customers.

Actually, was it the service cable (before the meter) or your submain (after meter) that was hit?

I don't understand the talk of PME - how on earth does the equipotential zone work on a construction site? The only way to ensure safety would be to use a local earth for all CPCs otherwise you risk introducing other potentials through the supplier provided protective connection.

Guess the supply cable would be PME (i.e. the one damaged), the building site temporary's connected to TT, unless all extraneous conductive parts are connected to the MET.

Of course where I wrote CNE conductor above, it might be a PEN, but as it caused such far reaching effects it seems not to have lots of decent ground paths shunting it.

Of course where I wrote CNE conductor above, it might be a PEN, but as it caused such far reaching effects it seems not to have lots of decent ground paths shunting it.
Your scenario seems highly likely. The OP really needs a technical report stating the cause and effect of what occurred then I suspect the charges maybe reassessed.

The only way to ensure safety would be to use a local earth for all CPCs
Yes the site temp was presumably on TT, but if the service cable was connected to a PME system, an L-CNE fault current could have blown a defective PEN O/C elsewhere, where other properties were relying on it.

E2A Ah I see your point, the site should not have had stray voltages on its CPCs / bonding due to the failure if it was TT, although we don't know what was shorted to what at the fault location so it's difficult to predict. If the floating section had come into good contact with true earth, and we know the hole was full of water, there could have been all sorts of voltage gradients about the site.

Last edited:
Hi - apologies if this has already been said or is rubbish (please correct me) - if the DNO cable was concentric, then our man has exposed the N by nicking the cable. The N would have to already have been well above a few volts to cause the bubbly water that's reported. So either more than a nick or distribution system already in trouble, or both (?). A pic of the damaged cable might be interesting :) .

That's exactly what I thought Richard, sounds like they are trying to blame me for a fault in there network! The engineer got a shock when he touched the outer sheathing wires as he took his gloves off, he obviously wasn't expecting them to be live!
but the cable was damaged, he should have at least tested the sheath

the only time i willingly touch conductors is when i know 100% that they are dead.

Hi - apologies if this has already been said or is rubbish (please correct me) - if the DNO cable was concentric, then our man has exposed the N by nicking the cable. The N would have to already have been well above a few volts to cause the bubbly water that's reported. So either more than a nick or distribution system already in trouble, or both (?). A pic of the damaged cable might be interesting :) .
i was on a large steading job, diggers outside working on the underground heating system, then a loud bang and some smoke coming from their ditch

hydro boys came out and sorted it and everything was back to normal, so i sense that the suppliers network is not up to standard in this particular case

still, the labourer caused the fault(straw) that broke the camels back

if i had any inclination there may be a live cable buried, id use a trowel with an insulated handle!

anyone ever seen the video of "travellers" stealing railway lines? using axes to cut the cables...

(please correct me) - if the DNO cable was concentric, then our man has exposed the N by nicking the cable. The N would have to already have been well above a few volts to cause the bubbly water that's reported. So either more than a nick

Much more than a nick... OP says there was a loud bang so he almost certainly shorted L - PEN within the cable, and it was that fault current that broke the continuity upstream.

Reply to Builder needing advice after damaging temporary supply to new build! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net