Discuss Building regs for consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

They said a fused isolator will not solve our problem as this will need to go in place of the consumer unit and will still be an ugly box on the wall and still needs to be set 1.4m high.

The way I see the issue is the fused switch and its likely need for access to operate,it is akin to the isolator valve of a Gas meter in a cabinet buried in the Garden
Its accessibility by persons is unlikely to need any sort of consideration regard disabled access
Mounting it at low level in a cabinet seems to present no problem

There does seem to be little cooperation between the parties
If I were paying for a house to be build for my use,I would have a lot more to say regards who is working for who and which partys preferences within regulations takes priority

My point is that everything has to comply with Amendment 3 - Amendment 3 was not just one Regulation in BS7671:2008 (2015).

Think one is splitting hairs. The OP wants to know if they are being misled, not on semantics of regulation or regulations. I mentioned the specific regulation in the post, your being pedantic about.

Why is it necessary to install one of these switch fuses in between the DNO main cut out fuse and the consumer unit if the CU is of some distance from the meter box?

Because the DNOs require it if the tails are above a certain length (typically 3m). The official line is that they cannot guarantee their fuse will protect the cables in the event of a fault if they are longer than that.

Because the DNOs require it if the tails are above a certain length (typically 3m). The official line is that they cannot guarantee their fuse will protect the cables in the event of a fault if they are longer than that.
and they don't want to be called out on xmas day when and if their fuse blows. :(

Which is gonna blow first, is anyone's guess mind, unless you put in 60a compared to their 100a e.g., so I've been told countless times on this forum :)

It's part of the DNO network design/connection requirements I believe. This is beyond the scope of BS 7671, so there are no regulations you can quote easily. If you want proof (i.e. if people are telling you it's rubbish), have a conversation with your local DNO, confirm this is required by them, and then have the people who aren't listening to what you are telling them around, put your phone on speaker and have the DNO staffer repeat what they have just told you.

They can refuse a connection if they aren't happy with things and ultimately making them happy means complying with their rules, of which this is one.

Thanks for the info on that, I'm just looking into this out of interest to be honest! I've never come across this situation on an install yet but I have heard of a few other sparky mates doing and I wanted to know what the crack is, cheers

Reply to Building regs for consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net