Discuss Cable glands for thick metal sheet in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

gerard

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone knows of a gland for protecting a cable through 6-8mm thick metal? I could drill and tap ordinary glands but I have loads to do and looking for easier option. I am considering using bushings but would prefer thight fitting gland
Cheers

You should be able to order extended reach glands from Hawke or CMP (not sure if other makers do them, but probably they will) with a 25mm thread as opposed to 15mm.

If you have a load to do and its just for protection through a steel plate, have you considered using a transit frame and blocks ? On a standard 6x1 frame you can get some 48 cables of 15 mm diameter, or 24 of 24mm diameter. Otherwise if its a termination entry then you may need to consider some form of earthing the cable armouring if applicable in the enclosure (constant force springs and earth wire for example).

MCT Brattberg - Installations

Last edited:
Hi,
Just wondering if anyone knows of a gland for protecting a cable through 6-8mm thick metal? I could drill and tap ordinary glands but I have loads to do and looking for easier option. I am considering using bushings but would prefer thight fitting gland
Cheers

I suppose this is a silly question, but why don't you try a long reach bush and a coupler?

I think it would be the easiest and cheapest way of doing it.

I didn't want to use a bushing because I wanted a tight fitting that a gland gives. The machine in which the cables are located vibrates and over time it might wear into cable.

I didn't want to use a bushing because I wanted a tight fitting that a gland gives. The machine in which the cables are located vibrates and over time it might wear into cable.
in that case you could use a flanged bush with a lead washer (they come with a long-reach bush)

I worked on a fisheries protection vessel in shipyard in North Devon.
terminating 2x star-delta motors just outside the engine room, I found that the gland plate was about 10mm thick.
The first hole I drilled in at the motor.
The other 3 I drilled on a pillar drill in a workshop.
I know there is alot of vibration in 38 meter Naval vessel and it was acceptable there.

The cable was connected to a motor that moves and I was concerned about the constant movement. Observed it working and it seems fine. All good now thanks!

Reply to Cable glands for thick metal sheet in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net