Discuss Cable sizing for 50kW windmill ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm not an electrician. I'm looking for advice on the capacity of an existing SWA cable I have on a farm. It's a three phase cable (red,yellow,blue) and black neutral which connects an old 18kW wind turbine back to the farm electrical substation. I think each cable core is 10mm2 but it could be 16mm2. I want to know can I upgrade the turbine to 30kW or 50kW with the existing cable. The cable is burried in conduit underground and is 170m long. How can I estimate the max generated capacity that this cable can deliver back to the farm?

Thank you,
Paul

Hi,any assessment of capacity,will need quite a few details,and some testing.

The type and size of cable,is a start,also the method of previous use of generated power,either direct or alongside.

I'm guessing you are not building a 50kW nacelle,from an old washing machine? so maybe contact your intended supplier,who will have ready data,in regard of cable size,distance and output control.

You mentioned conduit,and if you mean ducting,there is at least a chance of pulling in another cable....with the possibility of removal,test and sale,of the existing cable.

Experience suggests it’s not likely the originally installed cable was over specified by that amount (price of copper, etc). As per @PEG, the new generator supplier could perhaps assist you.

Hi,any assessment of capacity,will need quite a few details,and some testing.

The type and size of cable,is a start,also the method of previous use of generated power,either direct or alongside.

I'm guessing you are not building a 50kW nacelle,from an old washing machine? so maybe contact your intended supplier,who will have ready data,in regard of cable size,distance and output control.

You mentioned conduit,and if you mean ducting,there is at least a chance of pulling in another cable....with the possibility of removal,test and sale,of the existing cable.
Plus what voltage and frequency will you be generating from the windmill?

Also, it might be work considering a parallel connection with 2 cables of the same size, this could make a big difference to the cost of upgrade if the calculations work out ok.

I've just caculated,that 50kW will power 2 X 25 tonne mill stones,on a dual trough type flour mill,plus all lifts,augers and ancillaries.....average wind conditions,friction losses,etc,guessed at,but there or thereabouts....

I think it was the combination of watching Fred Dibnah,in a working mill,reading the OP's word "windmill",and having cheese before bed...?

Reply to Cable sizing for 50kW windmill ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net