Discuss Can a fuseboard be mounted sideways (not me) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I’m following an electrician and he has fitted a couple of boards sideways
And has said he spoke to manufacturers and they said it’s ok(that old chestnut)
It’s something I’ve never seen and I started when wham were in the charts.I’m testing them need people’s opinion plz

Someone on this forum has admitted to fitting a consumer unit sideways. (No names to protect the guilty!)

There's no technical reason for not doing so, unless specifically mentioned in the manufacturer's instructions.

MCBs and whatever can be mounted sideways on a 3 phase board, (single phase circuits) so I can’t see why not, if you’re limited for space.

just looks off if prefixed manufacturers brand labels are on their sides

My only concern would be the door covering the MCB's, isnt that metal to contain any fire, they normally open up so when you let go they naturally fall to cover the MCB's. Fitting sideways could compromise this, probably ok with some where they have a latch, just fit a sign that says keep closed when not in use or something.

My only concern would be the door covering the MCB's, isnt that metal to contain any fire, they normally open up so when you let go they naturally fall to cover the MCB's. Fitting sideways could compromise this, probably ok with some where they have a latch, just fit a sign that says keep closed when not in use or something.
That's a good point!

MCB's are vented top and bottom for natural draught cooling of the internal thermal element. Mounting them sideways will reduce the airflow and hence raise the internal temperature. Might not be an issue in the UK but in higher ambient temperature areas it could affect the thermal tripping curve. When we install MCB's in hot climates like tropical and deserts we apply a derating factor to the current rating that's stated on them to aviod nuisance tripping issues.

MCB's are vented top and bottom for natural draught cooling of the internal thermal element. Mounting them sideways will reduce the airflow and hence raise the internal temperature. Might not be an issue in the UK but in higher ambient temperature areas it could affect the thermal tripping curve. When we install MCB's in hot climates like tropical and deserts we apply a derating factor to the current rating that's stated on them to aviod nuisance tripping issues.
fair comment, but does not explain why the MCBs are OK mounted horizontally in a TPN board.

I'm not sure either Tel, I can only guess they're built to mitigate the warmer operating temperatures.

If we build a panel for warm climate location we sometimes leave a vacant space between each of the MCB's for better ventilation to avoid nuisance tripping.

The ABB catalogue states
1) The thermal releases are calibrated to a nominal reference ambient temperature; for B and C the reference value is 30 °C.
In the case of higher ambient temperatures, the current values fall by approx. 6 % for each 10 K temperature rise.

Last edited:

Reply to Can a fuseboard be mounted sideways (not me) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net