Discuss Can i legaly rip out the kitchen ring main and replace myself? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mindiawl

Hi, I wonder if anybody can help me please.
Years ago I passes my city & guilds in 16[SUP]th[/SUP] edition and have re wired many properties before I passed and since i passed, but none since part P regs was introduced.
Im very competent and know exactly what im doing so there is no issue there and im not looking for advice on how to wire a kitchen or a bathroom and so on.
What I am looking for advice on is as follows please.
1 I have just bought a property for renovation and re-sell, I need to rip out the kitchen and the existing ring to the point that the 2 ends of the ring that come from the c/u still exists but capped off by 2 junction boxes. Am i aloud to do this?
2 Can I then (as the new kitchen is being installed) put in the new ring and sockets and re attach to the 2 junction boxes mentioned above?
3 Can the ring be placed in those white plastic ducting (conduits) and then running the conduits along the wall behind the base units, with runs up to the sockets behind the tiles?
4 i also intend to knock the bathroom and one bedroom all in to one room which will then be the bathroom, can i legally change the light fitting to just a normal pendant and install a pull cord switch for it myself?
5 For the rest of the house some light switches and socket back boxes and faces are cracked, can i replace them?
6 If i am aloud then do I need to inform somebody that I am doing the work?
7 Do I need to get a certificate before i sell the property? If so then how much roughly will it cost?
Thank you all in advance for your answers.

I disagree with that. There are people who dabble in electrics, and may well have been sent on a 16th edition course by their employers years ago (many firms even bring a trainer in for a few days to save money), and then there are those with a proper apprenticeship/training scheme and qualifications under their belt.

Quote:
3 Can the ring be placed in those white plastic ducting (conduits) and then running the conduits along the wall behind the base units, with runs up to the sockets behind the tiles?

You think an electrician would use those words?

He does use the term conduit tho?

I disagree with that. There are people who dabble in electrics, and may well have been sent on a 16th edition course by their employers years ago (many firms even bring a trainer in for a few days to save money), and then there are those with a proper apprenticeship/training scheme and qualifications under their belt.

There are people doing similar courses with the advent of the Electrical Trainee and these are being allowed to join a Part P scheme with probably less experience than the OP. Where is the difference?

There are people doing similar courses with the advent of the Electrical Trainee and these are being allowed to join a Part P scheme with probably less experience than the OP. Where is the difference?

You actually know how much experience the OP has had?
Not sure why you are so convinced that people who come on here, claiming to be electricians, actually are when they use terms like "
those white plastic ducting".

I was slightly tongue in cheek my comment, however in the OP it said passed my C&G on 16th edition or words to that effect, now i took that to mean, did an apprenticeship in the 16th edition, not just sat the 16th edition exam.

Maybe the OP could clear this up?

You actually know how much experience the OP has had?
Not sure why you are so convinced that people who come on here, claiming to be electricians, actually are when they use terms like "
those white plastic ducting".

Well as he said that he had rewired several houses before then I would that is competence enough to say yes he is a electrician. There is lots of advice given on here without anyone actually asking to show there qualifications or competence,so why is this thread any different?

Well as he said that he had rewired several houses before then I would that is competence enough to say yes he is a electrician. There is lots of advice given on here without anyone actually asking to show there qualifications or competence,so why is this thread any different?[/COLOR][/LEFT]
[/I]

Mmmm. I've plastered several walls before, but they were all crap! Daz

-

Last edited:
I think it stinks a bit that a fully qualified person is unable to do certain work just because he isn't Part P registered. It's another government way to collect money. House wiring isnt as complicated a factory installations which involve 3 phase etc. I realise Building regs can change and a sparkes needs to keep updated, but part 3 is overkill. Likewise, I don't think any person should attempt electrical work unless they have had training, allbeit in factory, home or telecommes environment. What do they know about running cable and correct termination. Probably end up with loose connections and no spare to play with when you come to change a fitting. Mind you, I'm sure a lot of Part 3 Qlfd. are guilty of not leaving enough spare.

Well as he said that he had rewired several houses before then I would that is competence enough to say yes he is a electrician. There is lots of advice given on here without anyone actually asking to show there qualifications or competence,so why is this thread any different?[/COLOR][/LEFT]
[/I]

Personally, as I said earlier, I know loads of fitters who know nothing about electrics but used to do rewires in the old days, armed with their 16th edition company paid-for qualification and a bit of advice from various sparkys.
You think what you want, and so will I. :)

If you read the Part P document, it is allowable to replace any cable and accessories that are already there, without notifying.
Please correct me on that if I'm wrong!
So essentially you can rewire a complete circuit at will, following the exact path of the old one of course!, but don't touch the protection.
Apart from the addition of the pro, how does that really differ from installing a completely new cct?
It's a load of...

Are you saying that an unregistered Part P person can quite happily replace a hard wired oven as they only have to connect from the oven to the connection outlet. No fixed wiring disturbed, no change of MCB. Nothing to notify.

Just because you are not registered doesn't mean you are not competent to do the job.

In answer to your question yes that is correct, or replace any other cable as long as the route is unchanged and the CSA remains the same.

Reply to Can i legaly rip out the kitchen ring main and replace myself? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back