Discuss Can I omit the SPD on this rewire? + Rant in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I read that as also the cost of replacing/repairing the installation incase of overvoltage, there's been many cases of accessories blown off walls and wiring completely vapourised, this would also be included in the cost assessment. £50 for an SPD isn't a lot in comparison.

Has there?
I've seen a house which had a direct lightning strike and nothing as drastic as accessories being blown off the walls had happened there. Yes it had to be completely rewired as all cpcs had melted, but I doubt a little SPD would have saved that one.

Has there?
I've seen a house which had a direct lightning strike and nothing as drastic as accessories being blown off the walls had happened there. Yes it had to be completely rewired as all cpcs had melted, but I doubt a little SPD would have saved that one.

was this house fed by an overhead line, in a rural area? What part of the installation did the strike hit? If the spd would not have save this one, what the hell is the point fitting them?

Has there?
Last one I saw was about three years ago. Rural telecoms fibre site near Carlisle, overhead supply. Strike hit the supply about half a mile away, overvoltage welded the generator AMF closed to the DNO supply, cables in metallic containment pretty much gone, floro lamp ballasts burst open. The rectifier took the brunt of the damage which protected the DC fed kit in the cabin.

No SPD on site even though the customer had been advised previously to have them fitted when other strikes had blown a couple of rectifier modules and there was LP on site.

Another one was a T Mobile mast that had a direct strike, antenna feeders caught fire and the alarm panel burst into flames. TBH no amount of SPDs would have saved that site. The feeders had recently been installed but the riggers never connected the earth bonds correctly so the base station took the brunt of the current.

Reply to Can I omit the SPD on this rewire? + Rant in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net