Discuss Can I put dimmer switches on a circuit? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, I’ve had some great advice here in the past and hoping you guys can help me out again with two questions I have re dimmer switches :)

I have some spot lights in a 10m long hallway that are controlled by 3 switches - one by the door (a one gang LED dimmer switch), then an intermediary rocker switch in the middle and then another rocker switch at the far end.

I bought these switches as this is what my electrician told me to get, but he has now told me that the dimmer is incompatible with the rocker switches and that they have to be all rocker switches. Ideally I would like the lights to be dimmable - so is it possible for me to have three dimmer switches instead? Or will this not work if controlled by three separate switches...?

2) the bathroom has a two gang dimmer switch (wall lights and spot lights) but as it controls the extractor fan also, one of the controls is a dummy dimmer so only one light is dimmable...in another bathroom renovation I had done not long ago I had a double dimmer which controlled the fan but both switches were dimmable...in an ideal world I’d like to be able to dim both lights, is this possible?

Thank you!
Nikki

Hi, I’ve had some great advice here in the past and hoping you guys can help me out again with two questions I have re dimmer switches :)

I have some spot lights in a 10m long hallway that are controlled by 3 switches - one by the door (a one gang LED dimmer switch), then an intermediary rocker switch in the middle and then another rocker switch at the far end.

I bought these switches as this is what my electrician told me to get, but he has now told me that the dimmer is incompatible with the rocker switches and that they have to be all rocker switches. Ideally I would like the lights to be dimmable - so is it possible for me to have three dimmer switches instead? Or will this not work if controlled by three separate switches...?

2) the bathroom has a two gang dimmer switch (wall lights and spot lights) but as it controls the extractor fan also, one of the controls is a dummy dimmer so only one light is dimmable...in another bathroom renovation I had done not long ago I had a double dimmer which controlled the fan but both switches were dimmable...in an ideal world I’d like to be able to dim both lights, is this possible?

Thank you!
Nikki
Is the dimmer a standard dimmer with the rotating knob or a 'smart' switch type?

It's usually possible to have one standard dimmer switch in the setup you describe, but not more. Whatever dimmer level is set at the dimmer switch is then what is set whenever switched on at the other circuits (if wired correctly).

If it's one of the smarter type of switches, either that connect to wifi, or have the front that you press a finger against, then it comes down to the manufacturer I believe. Many of those switches need a neutral at the switch, which is often present on newer installations, but not on older ones.

What makes are the various switches?

With 2), I assume the issue is that the fan is wired to come on with the light, and the way dimmers work is generally incompatible with fans.

Not sure how that was got around in the other bathroom, but there are some options.

You could get a humidistat fan that comes on only when needed, and doesn't have to be fed from the second light, thus allowing that to be dimmed (assuming compatible lights/dimmers etc).

Or wire the fan from a PIR sensor so that it comes on when it detects occupancy.

Or just have a pull cord on the fan for manual activation.

All of those would allow the second light to be dimmed, but may require some adjustment of wiring, depending on how things are currently configured.

Hi. The same problem I have! I wondered if I could have a rocker switch outside the bathroom which then fed a dimmer inside? That would allow a separate feed to be taken from the rocker switch to initiate the fan? Alternatively the PIR seems a good idea. Any recommendation on that?

If you want an electronic engineering solution, then John Ward has you covered -

Though wouldn't recommend anyone doing it unless they know what they are doing.

I've seen rumours of a dimmer switch that does come with an 'undimmed' output too, which would be ideal, but never seen one.

I guess you could rig up a grid switch arrangement where a single switch controls the feed to the fan, and also a feed to a dimmer module which is left 'on' but used purely for dimming the light.

Putting a dimmer inside the bathroom would depend on the size and whether you are fully outside any zones, so I'd always have it outside where possible.

With a PIR, you can get flush ceiling mounted IP rated PIR sensors that are designed to switch lights only on occupancy - often used in commercial bathrooms. I've had mixed experience with cheap sensors before, so may be worth looking at the more well known brands, though Screwfix do an own brand one that is cheap enough to risk trying maybe -

Reply to Can I put dimmer switches on a circuit? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net