Discuss Can I Replace Chain in Pull-Chain Lampholder? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

mrniceguy

DIY
Reaction score
I'm renting a property at the moment and one of my children yanked the cord and pulled it out. Is there a simple way for a novice/DIY'er like myself to replace this cord without touching any wiring?

I did a Google search, from what I saw, this would require messing with the wiring, which I can't do. So I thought I'd give it a shot and ask here on this forum before I throw in the towel.

Attachments

• 20220620_103409.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 20220620_103421.jpg
    474.8 KB · Views: 13
sorry to say but the only thing to do now is replace the light switch as a complete unit.
there will only be 2 wires that need disconnecting and reconnecting to new switch.

sorry to say but the only thing to do now is replace the light switch as a complete unit.
there will only be 2 wires that need disconnecting and reconnecting to new switch.
Just like to point out one of those two wires will be hot. Isolate the circuit before doing anything.

Get it wrong, and it could be " No More Mr nice guy"

Sorry... couldnt resist.

Just to add, when an electrician talks of "isolating" a circuit they mean not only switching off the power source, but also verifying that it is indeed dead. Otherwise you might be.

If doing DIY then putting the whole house supply off is probably the only safe approach, but in houses converted to flats you might just find some stupid outlet or light that is actually off someone else's supply!

Reply to Can I Replace Chain in Pull-Chain Lampholder? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net