Currently reading:
Can I use dimmer switch with incandescent strip light

Discuss Can I use dimmer switch with incandescent strip light in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

Oiseau

I have a 30 cm 40 watt incandescent strip light in the bathroom and would like to change the ordinary on / off switch for a dimmer. Is this possible ?

Hope I don't sound too dim for asking this question !

This isnt such a dumb question in my books i dont ever recall been taught the answer but to satisfy your query Yes dimmer work well with filament based lighting as that was what there original purpose was many many years ago before dimmable electronic bulbs came out.

Soz malc wasn't aiming at contradicting your post as it wasn't there at time of writing my reply to OP

@Oiseau there is a thank option at the bottom of every post and a like tab .... use them rather than express a worded thanks as it adds to the tally of the person you wish to thanks..... try it on this one ;)

Soz malc wasn't aiming at contradicting your post as it wasn't there at time of writing my reply to OP

@Oiseau there is a thank option at the bottom of every post and a like tab .... use them rather than express a worded thanks as it adds to the tally of the person you wish to thanks..... try it on this one ;)

I was just about to go into the 3000 club and rip you a new one .....................:wink:

Malc can i ask which of the 2 OP's qustions you were answering as i might have mistook your post .. re-reading the OP you have either given a sarcy' comment to his 2nd question or answered the first part of his post with a quick yes reply......which means my post may sound a little weird lol

Yes I have to admit it could be taken that the yes could refer to the question and it's nature

Sorry OP the yes was that the lamps are dimmable and it would be a NO it is not a dumb question ............sorry if I inferred that.

I was answering the question and the phone rang so why the answer was short.

Yes I have to admit it could be taken that the yes could refer to the question and it's nature

Sorry OP the yes was that the lamps are dimmable and it would be a NO it is not a dumb question ............sorry if I inferred that.

I was answering the question and the phone rang so why the answer was short.

Having worked in the building trade myself many years ago, I know that 'sarcy' remarks are never used !

having had a quick search I have not found any 40W pull cord dimmers but there are various makes of plate switch dimmer that can run at 40W. Depending on your type of lamp you could change it for a 60W lamp (so long as the fitting is not rated for max 40W) as the dimmer previously linked has a max brightness of 80%.

Apologies to the op by saying you had an ordinary on/ off switch i assumed it was a plate switch hence i posted the link i found. I also posted the link to demonstrate they can be found.

Reply to Can I use dimmer switch with incandescent strip light in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock