Discuss Ceiling light behaving oddly in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Sblanc

DIY
Reaction score
Hello and first thank you for creating a place where DIY amateurs can get advice!

I just bought a house and have been fitting the lights myself. All rooms worked properly, except for the living room where the potentiometers do not seem to have any effect (Neither dimming nor switching off the light) and where, depending on how I wire the bulb, either the light is always on or always off...

I know it used to work fine with the previous owners as they had ceiling lights plugged in.

That is the potentiometer
IMG-7974.jpg

That is how the potentiometer is wired in the inside
IMG-7975.jpg
Red cable on L1 and Black cable in the C

This is the wiring on the ceiling
IMG-7978.jpg
If I wire my lamp in A and C, the light is always on, if I wire in A and B, the light is always off.

There is no other light switch in the room.

If anybody has any advice... I am interested!
Maybe it is a stupid question, in which case, apologies.

Thanks

Wire it to B and C, live is B.

And don’t use led lamps, use normal incandescent lamps.
(40 or 60w bulb)

Wire it to B and C, live is B.
Awesome. Thank you Westward10.

Just so I get better at this:
  • What is A?
  • In the other rooms, I wired A and B and it worked fine. Do you know why some rooms would be wired with the live in the middle and not others?

The middle A is the live loop and is permanently live. You have live in, live out and a live to the switch. The black with the brown tape on it in B is the live return from the switch. The other roses if they worked must be somehow connected different.

Reactions: DPG
The middle A is the live loop and is permanently live. You have live in, live out and a live to the switch. The black with the brown tape on it in B is the live return from the switch. The other roses if they worked must be somehow connected different.

Great. Thank you for the explanation.

I fixed the light this am and it is working perfectly.

Thank you again for your help Westward10!

Reply to Ceiling light behaving oddly in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net