Discuss Ceiling lighting on same circuit all flicker in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Jlazarus

DIY
Reaction score
New house, half the ceiling lights on the first floor flicker randomly. Sometimes it takes a few minutes after being turned on, sometimes immediately. But the lighting fixture will flicker for about 5 seconds and then stop, and a few minutes later it will flicker again. The kitchen lights do not do this, but they are on a different circuit. The lights that flicker happen to be all on the same circuit

An electrician has come by several times to try and fix it with no luck and he doesn’t know why it’s happening. Thoughts??

attached video shows the flicker (about 5 seconds into the video). If you look directly at the bulb you won’t see it, but if you look at the wall/ceiling you can tell. A little hard to see in the video but it feels like you’re at a night club When you see it in person

TL;DR
Lights flicker randomly and electrician can’t figure out why

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.mov
    13 MB
Could be a few things. Possible loose connection between consumer unit and first light fitting. Or maybe someone nearby using a welder, etc. although you said that it's only one lighting circuit affected so I doubt that.

What tests did the previous sparky carry out?

9 out of 10 times it's a loose connection, but are any of the lights on the same circuit not flickering? or all of them? a bit more info might help like are they LED lamps with dimmers etc

New house, half the ceiling lights on the first floor flicker randomly. Sometimes it takes a few minutes after being turned on, sometimes immediately. But the lighting fixture will flicker for about 5 seconds and then stop, and a few minutes later it will flicker again. The kitchen lights do not do this, but they are on a different circuit. The lights that flicker happen to be all on the same circuit

An electrician has come by several times to try and fix it with no luck and he doesn’t know why it’s happening. Thoughts??

attached video shows the flicker (about 5 seconds into the video). If you look directly at the bulb you won’t see it, but if you look at the wall/ceiling you can tell. A little hard to see in the video but it feels like you’re at a night club When you see it in person
On that particular circuit it appears that you have a loose neutral and probably at the first light on the circuit or possibly in the panel. Is the electrician that you had come over a licensed electrician or just someone who does electrical work ?

On that particular circuit it appears that you have a loose neutral and probably at the first light on the circuit or possibly in the panel. Is the electrician that you had come over a licensed electrician or just someone who does electrical work ?
Honestly don’t know. The house is a new construction so I went through the builder, who contacted whoever they use for electrical. I didn’t have direct contact with the electrical guys

9 out of 10 times it's a loose connection, but are any of the lights on the same circuit not flickering? or all of them? a bit more info might help like are they LED lamps with dimmers etc
No dimmers, mix of halogen/LED bulbs. Hard to say if they’re all flickering. There are there are 6 lighting fixtures on the circuit. Porch, entryway, hallway, half bath, living room, dining room. I have seen them all flicker with the exception of the porch, but haven’t really looked closely at the porch light when it’s on so it could be flickering as well

Could be a few things. Possible loose connection between consumer unit and first light fitting. Or maybe someone nearby using a welder, etc. although you said that it's only one lighting circuit affected so I doubt that.

What tests did the previous sparky carry out?
So far he’s switched out the breaker, and I believe just checked connections in all of the switch panels. I have zero electrical knowledge so when he starts looking at things in the wall I’m not really sure what’s going on specifically

If the lights that flicker are fitted with halogen bulbs (or equiv mains filament type), then I feel it's likely an electrical fault. If they are LED bulbs, my first thought would be it could be the bulbs themselves.
I've had quite a few cheap led's that flickered like that. If your builders have been cheapskates, it may be worth trying some replacement quality bulbs.

Honestly don’t know. The house is a new construction so I went through the builder, who contacted whoever they use for electrical. I didn’t have direct contact with the electrical guys
Just for your knowledge, just yesterday I got a call about their lights flickering. I went to there house and took the cover off the sub panel and the neutral coming in with the 2 hots and equipment ground. The wire was tight in the lug but I grabbed the wire and shook it and it started arching pretty bad and the lug was attached to the neutral bar which was very loose I took the wire out of the loose lug it was in and added a L-125 lug which I attached to the neutral bar and reinstalled the wire got my money and left. Price of cake

So far he’s switched out the breaker, and I believe just checked connections in all of the switch panels. I have zero electrical knowledge so when he starts looking at things in the wall I’m not really sure what’s going on specifically
Hey I have this same problem. Same exact flicker/strobe that happens to random lights in different circuits through my home. I notice it really happens on LED’s more noticeably than incandescent or halogen for example, but sometimes it has slightly done that strobe on those these type of bulbs as well. I’m convinced it’s a light bulb issue but I’m very curious to what has rectified this problem for you. Assuming you have fixed this issue my now.

Thanks

Reply to Ceiling lighting on same circuit all flicker in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net