Discuss Ceiling Rose wiring - slightly confused in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

col_bol

Hi, looking for a little guidance on the correct wiring of a ceiling rose. If anyone can help, then all suggestions greatly received.

Description of the current set up is;

1. Landing Light, with two switches. One switch on the stairs and one on the landing (both single switches)
2. The cabling coming from the ceiling is;
a) live (red sleeve)
b) Earth (Green Sleeve)
c) Single Grey sleeved wire (no tape or markings)
d) Single Grey sleeved Wire (no tape or markings)

3. The rose has normal block set up which is
a) two live blocks (one live red wire in there already goes to actual pendant)
b) three loop blocks in middle (currently empty)
c) three neutral blocks (one neutral wire in there already connected to pendant)
d) earth connection

I hope this explains the current hardware.

I thought I knew the correct wiring setup for this, but this didn't work at all.

Can anyone help with advice on the correct wiring setup?

Thanks

Colin :bulb2:

A photo or two would be better if you can attach them please.

Yep, will sort - i'm away from the location at the minute so will sort at the weekend, thanks

It sounds like a fairly standard 2-way system from what you've described. Is the hall light downstairs supplied by the same switches as the landing light?

yep sorry to confuse, my house, i'm just working away from home this week so cant take the snaps at the minute

Hehe she could get her MFT out and give it a go. Or just take the photo. ;)

You're all making assumptions, these being;

1. I'm a man
2. I'm married
3. My wife's less messed up than my wires

Hi, well i'm back and have got my camera out. My wife wasn't interested (but thats another story ha ha)…… here's the pics of the ceiling rose that i'm struggling with. Any help greatly received. Thanks

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 4.JPG

You have gone to the trouble of asking,then posting photographs and you deserve more of explanation of why the answer you seek has not been forthcoming

This is an extra extra extra basic problem for any bit trained electrician
There are only a couple of wires and the permutations that you could use are limited
If you were to guess what goes where,there is possibility that you could get it right
There is however piossibility that it works,yet be very unsafe

We can't give you what is almost certainly the right guess of what wire goes where,because we rely on test meters and voltage indictors etc to confirm what we already believe

If we gave advise as to which is the almost certain permutation and we were wrong, then danger existed because of that advise,it would be foolish to do so for many reasons

Its for this reason,as they say on that famous programme
. "I'm out"

No, the hall light is controlled by a different switch. The two single switches (one on the stairs and one on the landing) control the landing light shown in the pics below, thanks

Reply to Ceiling Rose wiring - slightly confused in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net